a newbie with questions

May 25, 2016
Toronto
hi everyone. great forum glad to have found it. i'm in toronto and were gonna take the "plunge" on a new pool. very excited. we have quotes and are narrowing down a few options. wanted some opinions on a couple things.

one option being discussed is the ecopool in floor circulation http://www.1paramount.com/products/ecopool/

my initial thought is that it sounds useful in theory but wonder about durability. i'd welcome opinions on this.

also, ozone system option. manufacturer website made it sound amazing but a thorough search on this forum has me thinking otherwise. claiming 70 percent less chlorine use sounded great but i think that's not possible. it will be an average sized outdoor pool and will have average to low swimmer count. would ozone be any benefit?

finally, i was really hoping for SWG pool but i'm concerned about what to do with water when closing pool. toronto allows it to go into waste water but not into storm sewers. i could discharge on my property but i'm worried about effect on trees, ect.

any advice or opinions greatly appreciated. Aaron.

Welcome to TFP!

I'll address a few...
Saltwater from a pool is not harmful to landscaping.
Ozone is of benefit to a pool, but you get all you need from the sun. Ditch the ozone and go SWG without looking back. Easy decision.
No meed for in-floor circulation. Pool water gets circulated just fine with regular return jets.
Suggest a robot to clean versus an in floor or pressure/suction vacuum.

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

+1 to all of that ^^^^

In floor cleaning systems are fairly complicated with a lot of moving parts. Lots of stuff to break, get stuck and maintain. There are some folks here who love theirs but most find little return for the money. A robot is a great alternative.

I have never noticed any problems with where my saltwater pool overflow drains. I also haven't seen any posts here discussing ideas about saltwater having a negative effect on plants. It really isn't all that salty. All pool water has salt in the 500-1000 ppm range, a salwater pool is usually in the 3200-3600 ppm range and ocean water is in the 35,000 ppm range.

I backflush my pool into my St. Augustine yard in the middle of Texas summer. Because of the size of my filter, it takes a LOT of water to do it. Let's see, I can do the math... I backflush for two minutes at 50 gpm, then let it sit for 1 minute, then again for 1 minute at 50 gpm. So, I dump 150 gallons of salt water onto a fairly fragile grass in 100+ degree weather, and I have never had an issue. In fact, my yard is beautiful (we have had a lot of rain this year). It also has not damaged any of my trees, one of which is a Japanese Maple, which is known to be fragile.

thanks alot for the replies. very helpful. i hadn't considered a robot but now i am and will likely get one. i am gonna go with a SWG for sure now. meeting with builder tomorrow to go over some final details. thanks again.

hey guys - about to excavate in next couple days! very excited. hooping to get opinions on a venturi skimmer. any opinions would be great. there is an upcharge for the venturi skimmer and wondering what TFP thinks about them. thanks for any replies

We would love to see a picture of the yard before the work starts. It is like candy to us LOL

I don't know about the types of skimmers. I bet if you do a search in the search box at the top of the page you will find some mentions of it in other builds.

:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.