Do I need to worry about CYA or pH in MD?

Aug 11, 2015
Potomac, MD
In MD, the pool is open for only 3 months. Afterwards, more than 1/2 the water is drained.

If I'm replacing the water every season, do I need to worry about CYA and pH? The reason I ask is that I have a bucket of Omega Chlor Sticks 99.3% Trichloro-s-triazinetrione (Tri-Chlor), which raises FC and CYA and lowers pH.

I'm guessing that people use this in MD because water is being replaced every year?

Grayson

Re: Do I need to worry about CYA in MD?

Yes, you do need to worry about PH, keep it between 7.2 and 7.8. I would use trichlor until the CYA gets to about 50 and then switch to bleach.

Re: Do I need to worry about CYA in MD?

If you're replacing that much water, I doubt CYA buildup will ever be a problem. Just keep tabs on the test results and if it gets too high and/or the tabs aren't dissolving fast enough to maintain the FC, supplement with bleach. Trichlor is very acidic, so watch the pH and TA. A little-known factoid about poolmath.... The last row labelled Suggested Goal Levels has a dropdown option for trichlor as a chlorine source. It will then autofill suggested levels for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.