Test kit question

May 22, 2016
Lincoln Park
Hello everybody. I've been reading and getting suggestions all winter and it's finally time to open the pool. I have an Intex oval frame 10x18. 2885 gallons and it's on its third year. I just recently (winter) discovered this site and want to go this route this year.
I have a question about test kits. In my Amazon cart I have the Taylor 2006 fas/dpd kit, but it says that it will be a couple weeks before shipping. I was at Meijer today and saw an Fas (no DPD) test kit for 12 dollars. It said 12 way test kit. It has chlorine, bromine, ph, cya, etc....

My question is What is DPD? I searched the site, bit didn't really find what I was looking for. Google turned up quite a bit, but I was really hoping to find something on TFP to answer this. Will this 12 way kit from Meijer be enough until the Taylor kit can be shipped? And what is the advantage of the DPD portion of the kit?

Thank you guys.

Nick

Welcome to TFP!

I think you misread the Meijer kit, there is a DPD test and an FAS-DPD test (and I am willing to bet you won't find either at Meijer and certainly not for $12). The DPD test is in the Taylor k-2005 and works by matching shades of pink. The FAS-DPD kit works by counting drops to get up to 0.2 ppm accuracy in both FC and CC measurements. It is far easier and much more precise than a DPD or OTO test (the yellow color match one). You can't really fully do TFPC without an FAS-DPD kit.

I recommend cancelling your Amazon order and heading over to TFTestkits.net and picking up the TF-100. It comes with all the tests you need, a standard solution so you can calibrate your CYA test correctly, and has much more reagents than a standard sized k-2006. I use it in my business and consider it worth the small premium. And before you ask, this is 100% an unpaid endorsement, it is just what I use and am extremely happy with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.