Pump pumping dirty water while vacuming after opening

May 26, 2016
Bel Air/MD
I have seen some other post with this issue but this is the first time I have had this issue. I have a cartridge filter and in ground pool. We have a lot of dirt and worms on the bottom and when I started vacuming yesterday it worked but after a few minutes it started pumping cloudy dirty water out. I open the filter and cleaned the cartridges but that didn't seem to help. I am baffled as we never had this issue before. So I am thinking I should pump to waste but I am not sure how I could do that. The pump itself and skimmer are on concrete. The only thing I can think of is a the large drain on the container that holds the filter. Can I use that? I would probably have to run a host off of it to the yard. It's a Hayward pump Model c48k2n143b1 with a System :3 Filtration Model# S7M120.. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Those of us with cartridge filter systems do not have the ability to pump to "waste" unless the pool had a separate 3-way valve plumbed into it between the pump and filter. So all you can do is continue to rinse the cartridge as needed. If your filter housing has a small water hose spigot at the bottom like mine, that's just to assist with minor draining and cleaning the bottom of the housing, but not backwashing.

I just thought of something. I could close off the 2 of the 3 outlets where water comes into the pool and hook a hose to one outlet and have that pump into the yard so it doesn't go into the pool. Same set up I use when I drain the pool to close it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.