Not sure what is going on if anything

mdhwoods

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2009
Sarasota Florida
So I started taking care of my own pool this season and with the help of pool school and a good tester i thought i had a good grasp on taking care of it. Here are my current numbers

fc-6
cc-.5
tc-6.5
ph-7.5
ta-110
ch-300
cya-60-70

All the numbers look great and my chlorine loss from evening to evening has been averaging about 3ppm. CC has been consistently .5 or 0. I usually add about 4.5cups of chlorine each evening and that bumps it up to 9ppm.

So what i have is either dirt getting on the pool surfaces all of the sudden or algae. When i brush i get a cloud of stuff which I cannot tell if it is white or white with a green tint to it. Pool was bit cloudy yesterday as we got hammered by rain.

I first thought maybe my cya reading was wrong causing me to keep my chlorine lever low. I just retested by cya and feel pretty confident that its 60-70. So in a situation like this do you assume it is alge and shock? Water clairty during the day today wasn't pristine but it sure wasn't cloudy either.

Thanks

JasonLion said:
This time of year it could easily be pollen.

You could be on the edge of getting algae, but it wouldn't sit there almost getting murky for long. It would either clear up or get worse fairly quickly.

So do you recommend to wait a few days and see if pool goes cloudy? Pouring rain again as we speak. Man we needed it.

Butterfly said:
If it was my pool, I'd shock it.

You might could do with just raising the FC for a few days, but with brushing up cloud, water not looking too 'pristine' , both point to needing to shock.

And wouldn't you know that i am out of r0871, lol. Ordered yesterday and shipped. Not 1 pool place caries it, they all have 001-002-003 dpd agents. And there are a ton of pool places down here.

I know my test of 6ppm is good because i did that right before i ran out. So i may increase chlorine based on that number. Ill assume a 3ppm loss per day and adjust accordingly until my reagent shows up.

Mike

Butterfly said:
waterbear says that none of us brush our pools enough, and I have to admit, I am sometimes guilty, too! :p

Isnt that like the dentist telling you that you do not floss enough? lol

I am sure that i do not. I figured with my barracuda I did not need to brush as often, at least that's what i told myself :)

Butterfly said:
Do you think you are brushing your pool often enough? :mrgreen: waterbear says that none of us brush our pools enough...
Living in the woods, I end up alternating days for brushing and scooping: brush M-W-F-Sun and scoop out leaves and other organic matter on T-Th-Sa (and sometimes on MWFS too!). I use the Polaris on Wed PM and Sat AM: It's amazing how much junk it picks up 8) . I guess you could say that I'm anal about it, but...
<< and waterbear, I know that's still not enough! >>
Now, I have to find that darn ((&%#&*&%#$)) leak...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.