Poolskim VERY noisy

Aug 28, 2015
Canada
I just got my new poolskim in time for helicopter season and it works great. However, I am surprised at how loud it is. I have a 1.5hp two speed pump (Hayward) and when it runs on high speed the pool skim sounds like an airplane toilet flushing :mad:. I can't imaging the neighbours putting up with it for long. Unfortunately, my pump includes a built-in timer that does not allow me to use low speed on-demand. The closest setting is 6 hours of high speed, followed by 18 hours of low speed. I have no idea why that is but I am stuck with it. Hayward tech support confirmed there is nothing I can do (its a 120V and cannot be rewired like a 240V pump can).

Anyone else have issues with the noise, and any tips on solving it? I have tried a couple different height configurations but nothing produces anything close to the "zen" sound it produces on low speed. Sounds more like this video (not mine) that I found posted on youtube:

https://youtu.be/A2ORAXKFy-o

My pool is an 18 foot (above ground).

Welcome to TFP :)

I think it is just loud while on high..

My question is what pump and timer do you have, most can be adjusted but it depends on what equipment you have, could you please fill out your equipment as that will help us.. Trouble Free Pool

Thanks for the welcome! I have updated my signature to include my equipment. I have no timer other than the one built into the pump (it's a plug in 120V model). It works on the Hayward "beep" system. The 4 settings are:

24 hours on HI
18 hours on HI, then 6 hours on LO
12 hours on HI, then 12 hours on LO
6 hours on HI, then 18 hours on LO

So there is no way to keep it on low speed all day. There is no way to bypass these timer settings and no low speed switch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.