Curious about spa usage

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
I'm truly curious to know if after you've had your pool and spa built, do you actually use the spa all that much? Is it worth the extra cost of the build?

Does your pool allow you to use the spa independently of the pool, say in the winter??

Do you prefer the pool spa to a stand-alone hot tub?

Would you change anything if you could have known?

This is a totally non-official subject that I'm interested in understanding better. I'm not shopping or looking for opinions for any other use than my own knowledge. Thanks in advance to those of you that respond.

I'm truly curious to know if after you've had your pool and spa built, do you actually use the spa all that much? No. But it is popular with small children who come over. They can walk on the seat and keep their head above water.

Is it worth the extra cost of the build? It came with the house. I'd have preferred more pool.

Does your pool allow you to use the spa independently of the pool, say in the winter?? Yes

Do you prefer the pool spa to a stand-alone hot tub? No opinion

Would you change anything if you could have known? No choice
This is a totally non-official subject that I'm interested in understanding better. I'm not shopping or looking for opinions for any other use than my own knowledge. Thanks in advance to those of you that respond.

The house we bought came with a pool/spillover spa. In six years, we (wife & I) have used the spa about three times. It has seen some additional use during pool parties and the annual Final Four watch party that we host (on the latter event, spa usage is driven by the pool being a little chilly for most in early-April). Richard makes a good point about the benefits of a spa in regards to small kids. So, it all comes down to personal preference. In our case, given the relatively limited use of the spa by the two of us, we would probably forego the spa if we were building a pool.

We were on the fence about a hot tub and our PB talked us out of it when we built the pool. It saved us $10-12k on the pool build. We like being in the water and missed the pool when it got cold so we bought a tub the first winter after we built the pool for around $5500. Somebody is in the tub at least a few times a week, nearly daily in the winter. It is amazing how 10-15 minutes in the hot tub eases the aches and pains. Not much use during summer though.

I used to really hate winter and two things make winter much more tolerable for me. A hot tub and a wood stove. Between those two things I can wear shorts and flip flops pretty much year round! :)

Pros for stand alone tub
On a covered patio
4 steps from the back door
Much more comfy than sitting on gunite
Better/more jets
Better cover, insulated and always hot
Makes the pool plumbing very simple

Cons
None! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.