Help A New Member Who Just Recieved My TF-100 - First Test Results

Just received my TF-100 and excited to get started.

Background:
Prior to getting my kit, in the past two weeks or so, from reading on this site and using a basic test kit, I concluded that my CYA was low to non-existent (my chlorine was disappearing fast), and my PH was high. I added Muriatic Acid which brought the PH down to a normal range on the basic kit. I added liquid conditioner (only one gallon to get it going the right direction), which helped the chlorine last a little better. Today, the basic kit shows chlorine low and PH back up. I am not adding anything until I get feedback on the TF-100 results from you all.

TF-100 Test Results Today:
TA 300 (it barely turned a faded pink after 30 drops);
CYA very low to none I could still barely make out the black dot with the cylinder full to the top;
FC .5 ppm (1 drop required to clear);
CC .5 ppm (1 drop required to clear);
CH 125ppm (5 drops to blue).

Does it matter what I do first? Please give me advise. Step by step advise a child could follow would not be insulting my intelligence. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

DG, this might help as well:
- pH not listed, but ensure it's around 7.5-7.6
- Add stabilizer/conditioner for a CYA target of 30 ppm. You just added some liquid, so confirm this evening or tomorrow AM. Add more if needed. You want at least 30 ppm.
- Increase FC to 3 ppm for now. Once the CYA register to 30, then increase FC to 4-5 ppm and keep it there.

Once you get those items settled, you will need to increase CH to care for your plaster and eventually work on lowering TA. But take care of the pH, CYA, and FC immediately before you have an algae problem. Good luck!

Well....

Adding 1 gallon of liquid CYA to 14,500 gallons should have taken you to 26. Unsure if your view tube ends at 20 or 30. Does 26 seem like it could be the number? Or have you backwashed or drained a bunch since you added? I know it wasn't rain overflow!

In order: 1) raise FC. Always always always keep the FC level up so you don't get algae. If you target 4 for now, it should be okay. That translates out to 75 ounces of standard bleach.

2) Check your pH and plug pH and TA into poolmath to lower pH to 7.2.

3) Add another gallon of liquid stabilizer, or 3 lbs of the granular.

Then break out the tape measure and double check your pool dimensions. The CYA should have registered higher, so maybe the pool is bigger than you think.

Here is the update:

I re-figured the pool at 16,550 (with help from the pool store, yuck!)
I have my conditioner up to 50ppm It moved about 20 ppm with a gallon of liquid. Does that make sense for 16,550 Gallons?
FC = 5ppm
PH= 7.8 (needs some acid)
I am ready to added calcium. I bought 2, 8lb buckets at the pool store. I should need 1 more, but plan to add 1 bucket at a time and re-test to monitor the movement.

I am really digging TFP. I am brand new, and already would not want to trust anyone else to take care of my pool!!!! Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the update:

I re-figured the pool at 16,550 (with help from the pool store, yuck!)
I have my conditioner up to 50ppm It moved about 20 ppm with a gallon of liquid. Does that make sense for 16,550 Gallons?
FC = 5ppm
PH= 7.8 (needs some acid)
I am ready to added calcium. I bought 2, 8lb buckets at the pool store. I should need 1 more, but plan to add 1 bucket at a time and re-test to monitor the movement.

I am really digging TFP. I am brand new, and already would not want to trust anyone else to take care of my pool!!!! Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!
Effects of Adding Chemicals down at the bottom of poolmath says a gallon of stabilizer in 16550 gallons raises CYA by 22. So you're in the ballpark.

Poolmath also says to get CH from 125 to 250 will take 19 lbs. So you're close. 16 lbs should get you real close if the pool volume is close. Don't forget it will climb as water evaporates and you refill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.