Spilled R-0870 on kitchen floor, discoloration removal suggestions please

BattleOfYakima

TFP Guide
Apr 15, 2016
Central Florida
Less than half of my R-0870 fell on the kitchen floor last night. I pulled out the safety sheet but it only said how to deal with skin accidents. It was after business hours, so I just swept it up thoroughly. Looked good. This morning there is discoloration. I called Taylor and for the email of someone that might be able to help. They replied with a wonderful answer that I will probably try when I get home, but I'm open to other suggestions too:

It may be possible to remove the discoloration with a reducing agent, such as the Thiosulfate reagent from the Alkalinity test in your K-2006 (R-0007). Be sure to consult the SDS in order to handle it properly (I've attached it to this email), and place a few drops at a time on the discolored spots and scrub the spots as best as you can. Once you are done with the Thiosulfate, clean the area with soap and water to remove any residual chemical.

But you didn't post your floor's FC level.:lol:
It passed the OCLT. Thank you for your concern.

If Thiosulfate doesn't work, try mashed-up Vitamin C pills paste. It lifted some rust stains off my patio table.
Perfect backup plan. Thank you.

Be sure to post your findings. The question is bound to arise again and I want to know the answer.
Will do. Testing soon.

- - - Updated - - -

What type of flooring do you have?

Vinyl

R-0007 thiosulfate ***might*** have lightened the darkest places, but lighter spots seem to shrug it of. There is no visual interaction when the drops sit on it, who knows while brushing, then after it maybe seems not as bad. No before photos, but after/current photos below.
You can also try a Mr. Clean magic eraser.
Thank you for the suggestion. Didn't phase it. Eraser remained clean.
try mashed-up Vitamin C pills paste.
Thanks, going to store now.
AND where is our picture??? hummmmmmmm??????
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

- - - Updated - - -

Also getting harder bristle brush to try thiosulfate again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is so weird looking! Does it feel different?

Okay just throwing ideas out there. Use are your own risk!! IF you try any of them I would test on a out of sight place first.

CLR-cleans everything else so......

Bleach gel pen

Go-jo hand cleaner-it cleans my husband hands when they are almost black

Simple green-cleans SO much

Like I said I am just throwing ideas out there to see what sticks!

Kim:cat:

Well, maybe a little chlorine would bleach it out. You could get some gloves and mix up a 1ppm solution and try that. Maybe soak a paper towel in the bleach and let it sit on the stain a few minutes.

Was not waxed unfortunately. I tried the thiosulfate a couple times with no immediate results. Soap and water clean after. Homeowners tried straight bleach later that day. No change visible either. Next day it looked better. Who knows. Sorry we didn't get a formal suggestion out of this one.

Very sorry to hear what a pain this one is/was for you. Sounds like it would be a good tip to add to the Extended Test Kit directions here, so maybe someone down the track might avoid the problem. Bummer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.