Hose Creating Foamy Water?

RSAnative

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 26, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Hi TFP,

I posted this earlier but I'm out of ideas and feeling very frustrated and I'm hoping for some advice.

I'm getting foam when my water is agitated. My CYA was high so I drained half the water and refilled and got it back down to manageable levels. But the foam remained. I opened the pool May 1 so any algaecide should have dissipated by now. My chemicals are good, CL 5, PH 7.6, CYA 60. The water is very clear. Yet the foam problem remains. So I was cleaning off my table and noticed that when I first turned on my garden hose, I see foam. This was the same hose I used to fill the pool. This is a new hose. I read an article that some garden hoses leach chemicals. Could this be the problem?!?!?! If it is, the only solution would be to drain the entire pool and refill it with fresh water? I am out of ideas and want the water to be safe as my kids swim in it and summer is well on it's way. Please help.

Robert

I'll let the true experts work out other possibilities, and I have no clue on the hose, but have you checked your CH? I have a vinyl pool so rarely worry, but if it gets too low I see some foaming. Sometimes mysteriously, other times from known causes like a grandson with an electric bubble machine. Obviously the bubbles would be expected to foam, but is much worse if my CH was way low. However, it's when WAY low, like under 70, when I noticed any difference.

You didn't happen to accidentally grab some splashless bleach by mistake, did you? From what I read here, it's almost as good as Mister Bubble.

Low CH will also cause foaming. I would have never believed it until one of our rare rainstorms refilled my spa for me. And it didn't just bubble, it foamed. Until it got diluted with my high CH pool water.

Hoses will leach chemicals. Anyone who's ever drank from a cheap garden hose as a kid will attest to that. And there;s a reason they sell special water hoses for RVs. But I don't think they foam, just taste awful.

Taylor T50 Kit.

FC 5
CC ? <-- I ran out of 087 powder
pH 7.6
TA 180 (I know this is high but I'm going to have it retested at store. I get new testing reagents every year but I want to make sure my ones for TA are ok).
Ch 300
CYA 50-60

The only other thing I can think of is algae but algaecide was added.

CH of 300 eliminates that as the foam source, generally CH above 130-150 eliminates foaming. I think I would SLAM the pool for a few days and see what happens.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.