New pool coming / first pool

May 25, 2016
Oxbow sask
Hi guys and gals first off I would like to thank you for this very informative site. My first pool is about to show up on Friday or Monday. I already got my test kit Taylor k-2006. Filling the pool with municipal water. I have been doing a lot of reading the last couple weeks and this is what I think I have todo. Once pool is filled start pumps for a bit I can test water. add chlorine and start dissolving cya in pool I tested my tap water yesterday and got 7.2 PH and 430ppm TA using the 25 ml sample and retested using the 10ml sample and got 350ppm. After I test pool water I can calculate how much muriatic acid I need to drop TA to 80-100ppm. Then decrease PH to 7 using the acid demand test and start aerating the pool to try and get PH to climb and continue doing this till my TA is at the level I need.
Does that sound correct?

Welcome to TFP!

Muriatic acid is typically used to lower pH, but along with aeration can be used to lower/raise/lower/raise to lower your TA. You don't have to use the acid demand test to determine how much MA to add to lower pH, just the pH test is really all you need, along with Pool Math at the top of the page.

That's a pretty big difference in your TA test results.

Thanks for the replies and advice. The pool showed up today it's been raining the last 2 days. It was suppose to show up Monday and I was wanting to have all the ground work done by then. If I had the ground work done I would probably be out there in the rain setting it up lol. I'm getting excited I don't feel I can do much more reading info on pools and chemicals till I put some of what I learned to the test.

Ok pool is set up and filled pumps are running first test of pool water

FC 0
CC 0
PH 7.2
TA 425
CH 400 I read CH doesn't matter in vinyl liners but is this to high
CYA 0
temp 50 deg f

so far I've added 1 pound of stabilizer that's all I had and approx 2l of clorax was aiming for a FC of 4 and gonna get CYA to 30-40.

I've built a little contraption for aerating pool have a look at pics it's just a piece of pex being used for ventrilly effect works good.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.