Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: This is awesome !!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

This is awesome !!!!!

I purchased a item called the POOLSKIM ,I dont know if this is a popular item with everyone but i have had it about a week and it is great and it will save me lots of time on skimming leaves ,lovebugs and flying ants from the top of my pool. When i first turned it on it was like a magnet it just sucked everything off the top of the pool. . Normally I skim the top every other day with my net but i have only cleaned the net from the pool skim. This is the web sight if anyone wants to look at it.

www.poolskimusa.com
    18 x 33 x 54" (OVAL)(AG)
    18000 gal
    Pentair Sand Filter
    Model SD-60 (200 LB's)
    Century 2.5 HP Dual Speed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: This is awesome !!!!!

Yep, the PoolSkim has received great reviews at TFP!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

IDK, looks like it could be damaged by kids, and such through normal pool activity to me.
    30,000 Gallons, Hayward C5030 cartridge filter, IG, Plaster, SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

My poolskim collects a lot of debris. I would love to see a photo of it installed in your pool.
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG Max-E-Therm HD, SR Smith Turbo Twister, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd like to see it, too. One of our members, AnnaK, did a great job documenting her install:

http://ellerbach.com/Pool/PoolSkim/
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Hear is a couple of pictures I took .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18 x 33 x 54" (OVAL)(AG)
    18000 gal
    Pentair Sand Filter
    Model SD-60 (200 LB's)

7. Back To Top    #7

I think it looks vulnerable too. Can it be removed, like before pool parties?
    Dave

Pool: 20K gallon, sand filter, IG fiberglass,
    1 hp pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Very easy to remove it has a union fitting at the return. Just unscrew and the whole unit comes out.
    18 x 33 x 54" (OVAL)(AG)
    18000 gal
    Pentair Sand Filter
    Model SD-60 (200 LB's)

9. Back To Top    #9

Did you buy it locally or did you order it? It doesn't seem to be stocked by any of the bigger online retailers.
    22k gal free form gunite w/spa, Aqualink RS-8, Jandy Aquapure SWG, 2 Jandy ColorLite, Polaris 280, Raypak 400k Low NoX Heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

I have been having problems with mine (I posted over in the pumping section), so maybe you can help. Does yours create bubbles in the pool when the bumper (hat) is attached? It is like it is sucking air when the water comes over the edge and creates the vortex. Thanks!
    24' Seaspray Evolution CLX Above Ground Pool (~13600 gallons)
    Pentair Sand Dollar SD60 / 22.5" filter / Maximum Flow Rate 60 GPM
    Pentair Dynamo Pump 1 1/2 HP

11. Back To Top    #11

woolybully i purchased mine from a local mom and pop pool store but you can order online i checked it out its the same price. None of thje big pool stores carried them.

When my pump is running the poolskim does have a few air bubbles when the water shoots through the net , but not bad at all.
    18 x 33 x 54" (OVAL)(AG)
    18000 gal
    Pentair Sand Filter
    Model SD-60 (200 LB's)

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm confused.... is this just a skimmer? So you would get this if your pool doesn't have a skimmer already?

If the pool already has a skimmer I can't see how this can work better. In 30 mins to an hour (if my pump has been off awhile), there's not a bug, pollen or anything floating on the top of the water.
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by numberonenole
    I have been having problems with mine (I posted over in the pumping section), so maybe you can help. Does yours create bubbles in the pool when the bumper (hat) is attached? It is like it is sucking air when the water comes over the edge and creates the vortex. Thanks!

I have a 2-speed pump. When it runs on HI there are small bubbles coming out of the PoolSkim net when the 'hat' is in, yes. The vortex generates large bubbles while it's sucking debris into the net and those larger bubbles are broken up by debris and the net into smaller ones. If you take the hat out the bubbles disappear because that vigorous vortex action isn't present.

The PoolSkim needs to be installed at such a depth that the hat is 1 or 2 inches (I forgot, which) under water at your lowest normal operating water level. The installation depth is regulated by the length of the pipe. It comes with piping longer than what's needed and you cut it to size. If yours is sucking a lot of air you may have it sitting up too high, i.e., too close to the surface. You can either add some water or cut the pipe to drop the PS down a little farther.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

14. Back To Top    #14

H-Town,

From your pictures it looks like your PoolSkim is installed so the sock is parallel with the pool wall. We installed ours at a 45 degree angle to the wall to facilitate water circulation.

This is a great device and I'm so glad we bought it. I rarely have surface debris anymore and with three dogs swimming daily the amount of dog hair it catches is unreal! Between it and the skimmer socks in the basket my vacuuming time is cut in half, at least.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

15. Back To Top    #15

AnnaK I do not have dogs but I bet the poolskim does work well for that. Yes I do have my poolskim aimed with the wall it does a great job of circulating the water. I looked at your pool pics and youre pool looks nice.
    18 x 33 x 54" (OVAL)(AG)
    18000 gal
    Pentair Sand Filter
    Model SD-60 (200 LB's)