Refill In Process Then Slam Procedure

Jun 3, 2015
Montgomery, TX
Morning,

Well I finally made the decision to stop using my inline Chlorinator and Trichlor pucks. I have been reading on this site for a while about all the issues etc and I have made a firm commitment to follow the TFP method.

I have been away for work and left the wife in charge of the pool for the last week. She understands the process but is not very diligent about testing and adding chlorine. She will for the dog but not the pool! Well as a result we have algae formation in the pool. See attached pic.

Test Results using TF-100
FC- 2
CC- 1
CH- 250
TA - 77
CYA - 80

As a result of the above I am doing a partial drain and refill in order to target a CYA -30. Water is currently draining with a sump pump at the bottom of the pool and I should be ready to start refilling in about 4 hours.

Once I start refilling I undertsand that I am not to run the first set of tests until the water level is at skimmer level and has circulated for 30 mins. Please confirm.

Once this is complete and I have test results I will initiate the SLAM procedure and maintain FC level at shock for the CYA level. Continue brushing and running the pumps 24 hrs until the 3 criteria have been met. I have lots of liquid choline on hand and am ready to babysit!

As for the PH I want to make sure this is at around 7.2-7.4 correct? Should I be worried about TA and CH also during this time or only PH?

Thanks for all the suggestions and guidance as they are always welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 33
You got it! That was easy. :) Everything you said was spot-on. The only comment I had, which is minor and personal preference, if how much to drain. If you can/want to lower CYA to 30, that will certainly require less bleach for the SLAM. But here shortly, once we get past this weird weather, it's going to get hot and you'll end-up adding more CYA I'm sure. So you can do as you plan (CYA of 30 = FC of 12), or if your CYA didn't drop as much as you hoped (CYA 50 = FC of 20), either will work. Just depends on you really.

After the SLAM, please ensure the dog and pool both get fed at the same time. :)

You got it! That was easy. :) Everything you said was spot-on. The only comment I had, which is minor and personal preference, if how much to drain. If you can/want to lower CYA to 30, that will certainly require less bleach for the SLAM. But here shortly, once we get past this weird weather, it's going to get hot and you'll end-up adding more CYA I'm sure. So you can do as you plan (CYA of 30 = FC of 12), or if your CYA didn't drop as much as you hoped (CYA 50 = FC of 20), either will work. Just depends on you really.

After the SLAM, please ensure the dog and pool both get fed at the same time. :)

Thanks for the info. Pool is full and it's a messy green. Will be testing and posting results shortly. I am hoping that I brought my CYA down to 30 or 40. In addition I will be testing ph and adding Muratic acid if it's too high.

Perfect! Good luck.

Well after a crazy rain storm last night that dumped 12" of rain in our area the SLAM has started. The pool is way greener than what it was when I first started draining the pool!!! That's probably because there was no circulation due to no water being in the pool.

Muratic acid poured in pool this am. PH is at 7.4. I will run to HD to get some more. Liquid bleach has also been added and I am maintains a FC of 16 as my CYA is at 40. I actually think its 35 but have read to round up just to make sure.

Testing and adding of bleach will be happening for the next few days. Let's hope for no more rain.

I should not need to worry about TA and CH until later on in the SLAM Correct?

I should not need to worry about TA and CH until later on in the SLAM Correct?
In your case, you are correct. If someone has really high CH -- doubtful with the rain you've been having - then maybe they should have drained a bit more beforehand. Why treat water only to dump it later?

But raising CH and TA can happen after the pool is clear. They can be fixed in minutes. Your pH test is inaccurate at shock level FC so ignore it as well. CYA shouldn't change much since you won't be losing water backwashing a filter. Just FC & CC from now on until the SLAM is done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.