New Pool Build In Winter Garden FL

I've tried thermal cell under my covered lanai with no wind. Mosquito didn't care for the thermal cell and flew around my ears anyways. We get a light wind due to the lake so fogging/thermal devices doesn't do the trick. I also bought a mist blower and used what the professionals used all over my yard..works for a few days I guess but that's about it. The misting system is pretty much our only saving grace before putting up a cage.

Plumbing is finally DONE! Took them 3 weeks, about 12 days of straight work. They said it's the most complicated pool they have ever done in the past 15 years.
This pool is definitely behind schedule. 8 weeks delivery and we are in the 7th week.

Couple of things I have noticed.

1. My water feature pump is not variable speed. I'm kind of disappointed. And it's a 2hp pump which I think is overkill for the water features I have listed in my first post. I was going to leave this pump on at night to do some pool cooling but doing this 30 days/month will cost me probably 120 dollars/month in electric bill.

2. Water feature pump is also not going to be automated from my phone. I guess I can only control lights, pump, and water heater from the Easy Touch 4? As the plumber was explaining it, there's an automation port for the 3hp main pump, but I don't see the port on the 2hp pump.

IMG_20160711_184531_zpskg0vq6j1.jpg

Just spoke to my designer. He said based on the calculated volume, running the pump at half speed will not get me the features running correctly so it's either full speed or bust. He said a variable speed pump will not help either with the electric bill. The best way is to not have it run unless the pool is being used or when guests are over.

He did say the easy touch 4 can control the on/off of the pump so I'll have access via phone at least.

Just spoke to my designer. He said based on the calculated volume, running the pump at half speed will not get me the features running correctly so it's either full speed or bust. He said a variable speed pump will not help either with the electric bill. The best way is to not have it run unless the pool is being used or when guests are over.

He did say the easy touch 4 can control the on/off of the pump so I'll have access via phone at least.

My PB wanted a single speed 2 hp for the 3 sheer waterfalls. I insisted on the 3hp VS pump and I'm glad I did.

PB started the pump yesterday and the waterfalls run great at speed 4 (3100 rpm), good at speed 3 (2100 rpm) and fair at speed 2 (1500 rpm). These speeds are the default and can be changed.

My PB wanted a single speed 2 hp for the 3 sheer waterfalls. I insisted on the 3hp VS pump and I'm glad I did.

PB started the pump yesterday and the waterfalls run great at speed 4 (3100 rpm), good at speed 3 (2100 rpm) and fair at speed 2 (1500 rpm). These speeds are the default and can be changed.

Is the waterfall the only thing that's hooked up to the pump or are the bubblers as well?

I wanted the 2 Bubblers and the 4 Deck jets on that pump but the PB wanted them on the circulation pump.
He was concerned that the Feature Pump would only be able to handle the Sheers.

I agreed to the Bubblers being on the circulation pump and glad I did as they look nice being on with the circulation.

But insisted that the Deck Jets be installed with the Feature Pump. He didn't listen and put them with the circulation pump and now does not want to change it.

There is plenty of power to run the Sheers and Deck Jets with the Feature Pump and that is where I have the remote control.

I wanted the 2 Bubblers and the 4 Deck jets on that pump but the PB wanted them on the circulation pump.
He was concerned that the Feature Pump would only be able to handle the Sheers.

I agreed to the Bubblers being on the circulation pump and glad I did as they look nice being on with the circulation.

But insisted that the Deck Jets be installed with the Feature Pump. He didn't listen and put them with the circulation pump and now does not want to change it.

There is plenty of power to run the Sheers and Deck Jets with the Feature Pump and that is where I have the remote control.

Ah, I need to go and check to see what features are on what pump. I just did a calculation on the watts/hr on the feature pump and it's going to be between 2100-2500. Perhaps I do need all the power to push water through 4 weeping walls and the pergola waterfall. It may also need to push power to the 2 bubblers around the sunshade and 1 bubbler in the spa but need to check on that first. It'll cost me $1/day if I run it for 3 hours a day.

I was hoping to run the feature pump at night to cool down the pool. Apparently all the people I know without a screen are dealing with 95 degree water right now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ah, I need to go and check to see what features are on what pump. I just did a calculation on the watts/hr on the feature pump and it's going to be between 2100-2500. Perhaps I do need all the power to push water through 4 weeping walls and the pergola waterfall. It may also need to push power to the 2 bubblers around the sunshade and 1 bubbler in the spa but need to check on that first. It'll cost me $1/day if I run it for 3 hours a day.

I was hoping to run the feature pump at night to cool down the pool. Apparently all the people I know without a screen are dealing with 95 degree water right now.

I don't have any idea what my electric bill will be but circulation pump on lowest speed is only using about 43 watts and after this week will only run it for about 8 hrs. per day. The feature pump will only be run a few hrs. per day.

My pool temp with water only in there for 5 days is 86 degrees in full sun all day. The screen seems to be keeping under control as that temp has been steady but it still might heat up more.

I don't have any idea what my electric bill will be but circulation pump on lowest speed is only using about 43 watts and after this week will only run it for about 8 hrs. per day. The feature pump will only be run a few hrs. per day.

My pool temp with water only in there for 5 days is 86 degrees in full sun all day. The screen seems to be keeping under control as that temp has been steady but it still might heat up more.

I edited the above. Just checked and only using 43 watts on speed 1 (750 rpm). Jumps to 153 watts on speed 2 (1500 rpm)
Also pool temp climbed to 87 degrees today.

Just called the propane people today and it seem that they will charge me $150 if I don't use enough propane in a given year. Initial install fee is 2150 if I buy my own, or 630 + 94/year plus low usage charge if I rent it.

I am only using propane to heat up the spa function perhaps less than 10 times a year in FL. Based on my calculation, the spa probably holds about 300-400 gallons of water.

My question is..will a portable propane tank be good enough? Can I hook a portable propane heater to the spa heater? If I set the pool to spa mode, only the water in the spa circulates right?

If it takes 2500 btu to raise this water by 1F, and I need to raise it by 20F in the winter, that's 50k btu which is half a gallon of propane..and lets just say it takes 1 gallon of propane, I should still have 3.5 gallons left in the tank. Am I doing this math all wrong?

Singuy

Try your water features at night for a night, check for temperature loss , you may be surprised. I only have a 11,000 gallon pool and I loose 2-3 degrees at night running one deck jet for 8 hours. I have also installed one triangular shade sail up to keep some of the sun off. So far I have been able to keep the water between 73-77. If we get a thunderstorm the rain even brings the temperature down more.

With the 98-101 degree days we've had this month I am very happy with the effort so far, I am going to add an additional sail as soon as my back heals and I can get back in the yard to finish up my pavers. Then the second sail should help a lot.

Post back your results, I am curious your water temp change with the pergola water feature.

Keith

Just called the propane people today and it seem that they will charge me $150 if I don't use enough propane in a given year. Initial install fee is 2150 if I buy my own, or 630 + 94/year plus low usage charge if I rent it.

I am only using propane to heat up the spa function perhaps less than 10 times a year in FL. Based on my calculation, the spa probably holds about 300-400 gallons of water.

My question is..will a portable propane tank be good enough? Can I hook a portable propane heater to the spa heater? If I set the pool to spa mode, only the water in the spa circulates right?

If it takes 2500 btu to raise this water by 1F, and I need to raise it by 20F in the winter, that's 50k btu which is half a gallon of propane..and lets just say it takes 1 gallon of propane, I should still have 3.5 gallons left in the tank. Am I doing this math all wrong?

All true I guess, except the exchange places don't put 20 LBs in anymore. Read the find print (15LBS). They did this a few years back to make it look like the price dropped a little. Never went back to 20 lbs. You can get a forktruck sized tank (100 LBS) but you'll curse dragging that thing around. Me personally, I wouldn't want to fool with heating my spa with grill tanks. YMMV.

All true I guess, except the exchange places don't put 20 LBs in anymore. Read the find print (15LBS). They did this a few years back to make it look like the price dropped a little. Never went back to 20 lbs. You can get a forktruck sized tank (100 LBS) but you'll curse dragging that thing around. Me personally, I wouldn't want to fool with heating my spa with grill tanks. YMMV.

Yeah I was thinking about getting two. If I can get about 2 uses out of one tank, then I'm golden. We may use it once per 2 weeks.

The last time I had mine filled up, I believe they put in 3.75 gallons in the tank.

I actually just found they have 30lb tanks, giving about 7 gallons of fill. It should last the whole season given how often we are going to use it. The hook up is pretty much just screw a hose in right?

What an awesome design! What subdivision are you in? We hope to be building our pool soon (long story involving pervious/impervious issues with our subdivision) and we're in Hickory Hammock by Johns Lake. If we get allotted the impervious percentage we need to build our pool, we'll probably get finished at the end of the year. At least I'll be able to use the spa. Can't wait to see your pool progress!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.