Psi pool issue

May 24, 2016
Farmington
Hi guys. I have a question. I have a pentair nsf48 de filter. I have a 25,000 gallon pool. Why is it everytime I shock my pool my psi goes up. After a cleaning/backwash, my psi is at 20, after I shock it, within 30 minutes, it's at 30 and I have to backwash it. Please help. Thank you

I think I understand what you are saying. You backwash the filter and the psi goes down opn start up. However, after the filter runs for a half hour or so, the psi is back up, is that right?

The most likely guess (and it's a guess without test results) Is you are killing some organics with the sudden addition of chlorine and the dead organics are then captured by the filter, causing the psi increase.

We hope you';ll keep reading....TFP will show you a better way.

I thought duraleigh's response pretty much covered it. Have you decided on a test kit yet? I would really stop adding "bags of shock" until you get a proper test kit and take control of your pool.

I have a test kit. Water checks okay in everything. I shock, by adding 2 to 3 bags of shock every week on Monday, if I don't, water gets cloudy by Wednesday, but as I said, it's annoying that everytime I do add the shock, my de filter psi jumps from 20psi to 30psi in less than 30 minutes

If your water gets cloudy every 6 days or so you most likely have some algae in there. The shock is killing lots of it but not enough to permanently get rid of it so you are on a treadmill of sorts. Those of us on this forum that fallow the methods laid out in pool school either never shock if we keep the pool open all year or only at open and close for those in colder climates. The basic idea is that a properly maintained pool never needs a "shock". There can be mishaps where someone gets an algae bloom but we have a process called SLAM Shock Level and Maintain where the problem is dealt with over several days and then the pool is back to normal for weeks, months even years. Read through pool school especially the Defeating Algae link if it sounds like something you would like to try we can help you get to a place where you are not having to throw bags of stuff in the pool to keep the cloudiness at bay.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yup Pool School is the place to start, read through the ABCs get one of the recommended test kits and come back with any questions and some test results. With a little work not only will you end up with a cleaner pool but you will spend a lot less money on mistrie chemicals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.