Chlorine problems

damato300x7

Silver Supporter
May 23, 2016
Latrobe, PA
I am new here and just found this website a few days ago when I was having issues getting my pool clear upon opening. Here is a background on the pool.

I have been a pool owner for years and have never had trouble getting my pool chemicals balanced. This winter my winter cover fell in and all the leaves and pine needle found there way to the bottom of my pool. So I started shocking the pool and filtering. But my filter would only run an hour before being clogged and needed back flushed. I went through a bag of earth trying to get the pool clear. It was clear enough that I could see the mound of leaves in the center of the pool, so i started raking all the leaves and pine needles out of the pool. Went to the local pool shop to have water tested, they told me phosphates were way to high and that was consuming my chlorine and sold me Phosfloc. Followed the instructions and everything worked great. During this procedure is when i found this website. Yesterday I swept out the PhosFloc and now my pool is crystal clear. But my filter still clogs after about an hours and I can not keep chlorine in the pool.

Once I found your website (Monday Night) I ordered a good test kit (Taylor K-2006 Test Kit)and that will be here tomorrow. But until I get the test kit is there anything anyone can suggest about my filter and why I can not keep chlorine in the pool? I have dumped probably about 15 pounds of shock in this pool and within a couple hours its all gone!

Love the website and will be following this site and using the suggested chemicals instead of the pool store chemicals.

Thanks

Welcome to TFP :)

You have found the best and worst of DE filters, they work great, but when you have algae and gunk in your pool they clog/fill very fast.. You are doing the only thing you can, when the pressure rises 25% that is when you backwash and recharge..

Have you taken the filter apart and deep cleaned all the DE grids yet?

Until you receive your K-2006 just put 1 gallon regular bleach from walmart in per day and filter and brush the pool.. You will continue to watch the filter..

Once you get your test kit post up your numbers so we can get you going :)

Algae consumes chlorine very quickly, but maybe not that quickly. It could be ammonia. Add a gallon of 8.25% generic unscented NOT splashless bleach to the pool with the pump running and brush the pool. It will raise FC by 6 ppm and test in 10 minutes. If it is 0 or close to 0 repeat until the FC holds at 5ish.

So after work (5 pm) I back flushed the pool then added 2 gallons of bleach and brushed the entire pool. Almost 2 hours later I've lost most of the chlorine but pump has been running the entire time and has not clogged yet. I get my test kit tomorrow so I can get real numbers and not just dipping a test strip in the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am new to this as well, but based on my reading on here, you need to add CYA....one of pros on here will be with you shortly on that process. I have plenty (too much maybe) CYA in my pool, so I don't have this.

So what do I need to do first.
Have a working knowledge of "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That's our beginning Bible and will help you get balanced out.

I would not necessarily raise pH just yet. pH has a tendency to rise naturally in many, many pools and your may find it's way to a 7.5 sweet spot just by leaving it alone.

Chlorine is a consumable item so you will need to replenish it often.

I am leaving you only partially answered because we really want you to dig in and learn the TFP way of doing things. You will be a pro in a surprisingly short time and your water will look perfect!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.