SWG Question

kenmccall

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 24, 2009
Macon Ga
Could someone with a like setup (see singature) tell me what % they have their SWG set to. I do a 9 hour pump run per day and check the water every morning. My FC is at 6 now and I am trying to get it down to 4. I had the SWG set to 45 and just turned it down to 40 and would like to know if I am getting in the range I need to be beacause it seems to me going up about one half percent per day at 45. Thanks

SWG percentage settings are not generally comparable between pools. There are so many factors that affect the required percentage that you will probably never match another pool exactly.

When adjusting the percentage, you want to measure the FC level at the same time of day each time, preferably in the early evening. You also need to give it a couple of days to stabilize after any change.

My guess is that you need to turn it down another 5%. But let it run and do the testing and find out for sure.

It just seems low when the PB said to leave it around 70 but I knew better. I actually check it every morning at the same time. I keep adjusting it down but the FC seems to be going up the same every morning. Thanks

You made a small change to the percentage, which might not cause a change of even 0.5 on the FC reading.

The percentage you need to use will be significantly higher in the middle of the summer when the water is warmer and more swimming is happening. The builder was probably trying to anticipate that, assuming you wouldn't change the setting between now and then.

Testing in the early evening is better, if it is practical for your schedule.

kenmccall said:
Could someone with a like setup (see singature) tell me what % they have their SWG set to. I do a 9 hour pump run per day and check the water every morning. My FC is at 6 now and I am trying to get it down to 4. I had the SWG set to 45 and just turned it down to 40 and would like to know if I am getting in the range I need to be beacause it seems to me going up about one half percent per day at 45. Thanks
As Jason has said, SWG percentage settings are not generally comparable between pools. There are so many factors that affect the required percentage that you will probably never match another pool exactly.
When adjusting the percentage, you want to measure the FC level at the same time of day each time, preferably in the early evening. You also need to give it a couple of days to stabilize after any change.

however, I happen to have a very similar setup, BUT OUR WATER WILL BE DIFFERENT.
The PB left mine set at 50%, I dropped it down to 25% 2 summers ago, and currently have it running at 20% with a 14 hour pump run time.
We've had at least 4 pool parties so far (teenagers! and I test 3-4 times during the parties). The FC levels have never dropped below 5.5. I'm figuring that I'll be changing it back to 25% or 35% during the heat of the summer.
Make changes, wait a few days and see the difference. Remember that a 5% change is equal to a 5/60's of a change per hour: not much.

Some pools with SWCGs have a low level infestation of something organic. This causes a higher than normal chlorine demand. The solution, unfortunately, in most cases is to up the setting on the SWCG. Because of this many people in the pool industry are used to very high settings on SWCGs. Two ways to check if you have this situation: First is to calculate your daily chlorine production and from that you daily chlorine demand. should be around 2 ppm. The second is to check your chlorine loss over night. Should be 0.5 ppm or less.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.