Why does OTO only test for 1.5 ppm of chlorine?

May 8, 2016
St Paul, MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I recently bought and started using a TK-2006 test kit, which helped me successfully SLAM my pool. Years past, I always used the Pentair Rainbow kit that came with our house, which as everyone probably knows, only has an OTO chlorine test.

My question: if the OTO tests for TC, why does it's highest reading only go to 1 or 1.5 PPM of chlorine? That seems really insufficient, considering the (super awesome) TFPC method wants FC to be at 3 or above. Or asked another way: why does the TFPC want the FC levels to remain so "high," compared to what the industry standard says?

This question is purely because I'm curious.

Kelly

I think there are a lot of kits on the market that are completely worthless or completely outdated.....take your pick. That Rainbow kit has probably been made for years and you can bet it was before the FC/CYA relationship came into understanding.

Now that we are making an impact on understanding that relationship, the tests will ALL have to be revised, I think. Holding a max FC of 1.5 may have had some merit before CYA and I suppose I could understand a regimen wherein you could manage a pool like that but it would be awfully difficult.

The industry still does not want to talk about CYA in many circles because the Puck Manufacturers just don't want that conversation. But TFP (and slowly others) knows of the solid science behind what we teach and knows there are some people that really want to understand how to manage their own pools.

Understanding that CYA/FC connection is the key to running higher chlorine levels when necessary and providing FAR more cushion in FC levels than has been taught in times past.

Where will the standard be? I am not sure. There are a ton of folks who are happy with the pool store telling them what to do and are resigned to the tepid results. TFPr's are headed down a different road.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.