Pool heating questions

Apr 24, 2016
Dayton, Ohio
So, it's finally warming up in Ohio. Heat pump doing ok, got pool up to 75 today and hopefully up closer to 80 tomorrow. Main question is whether it is better to take off solar cover during sunny warmer portion of day while heating or leave on until we swim mid to late day? Either way heat pump will be running aroun 11am-6 pm. I have a 12 mil standard light blue solar cover which keeps heat in well at night. I know most heat loss is from evaporation, but does cover decrease heating efficiency during day or improve it?

Thanks

Having the solar cover on whenever you are heating is the best thing to do, only take off when you are using the pool :)

The covers, especially 12ml, retain heat for the most part. The lighter color/weight, the more the water heats up from the sun. If the outdoor temperature is less than the water temp, this is not a factor. So if the water temp is 72, and the outdoor temp is 80, I'd remove the cover during the peak sun hours, and replace it as soon as the outdoor temp decreases 1 degree.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.