New to pool ownership, and TFP. I have a few questions.

Apr 21, 2016
Pittsburgh PA
Hi TFP,

I bought a house with a pool last year. This is the first time ever owning one. I have a few questions hopefully you might have some answers.

First some info. My pool was constructed in the early 60's. It is a Wood walled sand bottom vinyl lined old lady. The dimensions are 18X34 ranging from 4-7.5. The liner was replaced sometime between 2003-2010 (we think closer to 2008). It has a Hayward sand filter (150 lbs), and a Hayward super pump. There is one skimmer, one return jet, and no main drain.

I bought a Taylor 2006 FAS-DPD test kit. My current numbers were (prior to starting a Liquid chlorine shocking regimen)

Pool Test 5/19/16
FC 5
CC <.5
PH 7.7-7.8
CYA 40
CH 70
TA 100

My questions are

How can I tell if the wood walls are still ok, and what are some common warning signs they are not?
My pool gets sun at least 6 hrs a day (might be closer to 8) is my CYA ok for the amount of sun (I live outside Pittsburgh PA)?
Should I be concerned about no main drain, and lack of water rotation in the deep end?
Any additional tips for a Newbie?

Thanks in advance!
Mrputts

Hello Mr. Putts, and welcome! :wave: To answer your specific questions:
- I suspect wall support would be #1. If they were to fail, the liner would begin to collapse. You would know it.
- CYA might be good for now. As summer gets closer and the sun higher, watch your FC usage. If you exceed 4 ppm in a 24 hr period, and you know you have no algae present, it may be time to increase CYA to 50 for that added FC protection.
- No main drain - no problem. I don't have one either. :) Your skimmer will do most of the work anyways. Use a skimmer sock!

You already have a great test kit - so thank you. :goodjob: Continue to maintain those great numbers above and think you're in for a great swimming season. :swim:

+1 on the skimmer socks, I use hairnets from amazon you get 100 of them for about $6 HERE. Just so you know if you are following the TFP method and maintaining at least the minimum FC level for your CYA based on THIS chart you don't need to shock the pool it will stay algae free indefinitely. bumping up the FC slightly higher from time to time will not hurt anything but it is not needed and we like to keep things simple.

Thanks for replies!
I will pick up the skimmer socks as soon as I am able.

@atttech-2 I am shocking the pool because my deep end is green. The rest of the pool is looking ok. I raised the FC to 16 according to the pool calculator and the chart you linked. I did not test it before it got dark :(, but I will test it tomorrow in the morning.

Welcome neighbor. I'm just south of tha Burgh in Washington Pa.

Brushing your pool on a weekly basis will definitely help with any dead spots since you don't have a main drain and 1 skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.