Thank you from a chemist

May 24, 2016
Twin Cities, MN
As a chemist (physical organic chemistry, undergrad teaching professor), and a new pool owner, I can't begin to describe how beneficial this forum is as a resource for getting the pool chemistry right. I only wish I had found it earlier! I've now spent more time correcting my own mistakes than swimming, but now that it is very much close to perfect, I'm so glad to have done it this way.

I'd especially like to thank chem geek, whose original contributions to the field regarding the relationship of free chlorine and cyanuric acid, and constant contributions to this forum give it the scientific validity that I was looking for.

Since the equilibrium constants have been known since the 70s, it astounds me that literally millions of pool owners have been wasting time and money with these incorrect pool store methods, and with poor results to show for it. How are the pool stores and pool chemical supply industry able to ignore something as simple as the idea of cyanuric acid building up over time?? How many pool owners are surprised to find algae even when they have free chlorine after they've been using pucks in the skimmer for years (like the previous owner of my pool)?

Anyway, now that I have something to show for my efforts, I hope to start answering questions and helping others out too. Nice to meet you all!

E87JnhS.jpg

Thanks for the positive comments.

While the science has been known for a long time, no one has a vested interest in informing the public. In many ways it's an area where money talks....

Let me add my welcome to the others, and hope you stick around. It is always good to have another person that is willing to jump in and understands chemistry when the technical doubters show up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You know how it is. People are inherently gullible. They hear what they want to hear. They go to the pool store and enjoy being told there's a magic fix. I have been face-to-face with friends and I try to explain to them why the pool store method is wrong, and their answer is typically "but you aren't a professional".

So, can we identify the fallacies?
Confirmation bias
I'd say appeal to authority, but it's actually false authority
Appeal to popularity

Any more fit the "pool store" method? :)