control valve wont seat properly

Jun 10, 2014
Shohola, PA
I have a 20" Aquaview sand filter for an above ground pool. The filter was purchased with the pool in May 2014. As part of the winterization of the pool I removed the collar that holds the valve to the filter and popped off the valve. The valve will now not sit fully into the filter. there is about a 3/16" gap. This is preventing me from getting the collar on. If I press on one side I can get that side to seat but obviously the other side rises up.
Any Ideas? Do I need to empty all the sand out and start from the beginning?

As always your time and help are greatly appreciated. Especially since I have a 13 and 11 year old breathing down my neck :D

Gap_valve_filiter.JPG

IMG_2429.JPG

Neil

Re: Control Valve won't seat properly

This was a recent thread if i recall, but I can't find it. From memory, I think in that case there was a small o-ring in the multiport valve that slides over the riser pipe. I believe they lubed that slightly then used firm and even pressure to reseat it fully.

If it's not that, it's most likely that the stand pipe has risen up in the sand. You may be able to take a water hose and run it down beside the stand pipe and flush the sand from under the lateral assembly. If you can't get that to work then you'll have to remove the sand and reseat the lateral head and stand pipe.

Thanks To All.

@Pool Tool. I'm sure it was. I was surprised when my search did not turn anything up. Yes there is an o-ring. I already lubed it with negative results.

@duraliegh the valve assemble should sit flush down on the filter with no gap showing. I then put a two piece collar around it and bolt the two halves together. The collar clamps the control valve to the top of the filter.

@Bama Rambler this was my thought. I was trying to find a way to NOT remove all the sand. You gave me a GREAT idea. I almost feel stupid for not thinking of this myself. Guest that's why having many minds makes for easy work. I will try this in hopes it works. If not I'll have to pretend I'm digging a moat around my sand castle at the beach.

If anyone else has a suggestion I'm all ears.

Neil

Just wanted to update this post with the actual solution:

There is a large o-ring that creates the seal between the control valve and the filter. I had this o-ring in the wrong position.

Of course I found this out AFTER I emptied all the sand.

Thanks again for all the help.

Neil

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.