Welcome from Orange, TX

LOL, I was going to reply via work or Facebook but didn't see you.

You know me even at work and "Just do it!" :) I'd just start draining to the point of still being safe and then refill. If CYA went too low it's cheap to add it on purpose, and you still have pucks that could add more only if on purpose. If you come up a little short on the reduction then you are at least close and can then decide if you run with the still high, but closer, CYA knowing you may have to drain if needing a SLAM, a second but smaller drain, or if no new CYA getting added let mother nature help bring it down. LOL, well, that is probably a little too vague to help you with your parents though. "Sorry Mom, we're just going to do it and sort out the rest later".

You are a good son! IF your mom is still worried about the drain take some water down and talk to them about the high CYA and say you cannot afford the snake oil CYA reducer so what else can you do to lower it. Get them to print it out to show your mom. For some people there is power in the printed word. Just an way to bring her over to your way of thinking.

Kim:cat:

If you are starting with clean water before doing that drain, it will be a very easy SLAM after the replacement. I had a green monster with my high CYA (not clean like yours), and I did a 80% water replacement. So, after the replacement that 20% green monster became a green cloud in my new water. But, my SLAM took less than a week, and only 6 gallons of Liquid Chlorine. The SLAM will be easy, so start that drain.

Ok about to post pictures and update equipment. Will need info on how to backwash and drain valves on this thing. I did some sweet talking and told them it was me or the pool company, cause you gonna need to pick a side and stick with it. They are gonna let me drain.

Lee

Well, dang :( That's not a sand filter!! Good you posted here for others to look at it all, but I do see at least one spigot after a pump that could be used to drain. Not at all what I was expecting thinking Hayward sand filter though. I'll be waiting myself to learn what some of that is, like that black thing on the top of a pipe that seems to go nowhere.

Well, dang :( That's not a sand filter!! Good you posted here for others to look at it all, but I do see at least one spigot after a pump that could be used to drain. Not at all what I was expecting thinking Hayward sand filter though. I'll be waiting myself to learn what some of that is, like that black thing on the top of a pipe that seems to go nowhere.

I actually think I know what that is. I think it's a blower motor for the Spa's bubbles.

Okay Lee lets do some "house cleaning" please..............

-Add state in your profile (just under your name)

-Put your parent's pool info in your siggy while we are working in it in this thread. IF that is your parents change the filter to cart instead of sand.

-put in what test kit you are using

Good job talking them into to our way! They will love it once you get it "fixed".

The easiest way to drain is to rent a sub pump or buy a cheap one from Harbor Freight.

I will be keeping an eye on this tread. IF I do not see it right away please feel free to PM me.

Kim:cat: (pick one-me or the pool store! good one! hehe)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok house cleaning done.

There's a bleed off valve spigot between my pump and cartridge filter. Could I use that as a way to drain? The pictures will show you what I mean, it's at the top of the T joint going toward the filter.

Also, will be cleaning the cartridges soon.

You could use that, but it may drain quite a bit slower than it would with a submersible pump or other device with a bigger aperture.

I drained off four inches or so using mine earlier this season, but it took a half hour or so do get that much done (if my memory is good).

I was able to rent a submersible pump from Home Depot here for around $47 (it came with 50 feet of hose). It emptied my pool in about three and a half hours.

Thanks for the tip Triptyx, Harbor Freight (yea yea i know...) has a 20% off now an I think I can buy one for about the same price as that rental. If it can pump water...well...who knows...it's Harbor Freight :) Good idea though.

From what I read, I don't want to drain this way because it will cause the skimmers to run dry and overheat my pool pump.

Better safe that sorry.........."well see Mom, I was listening to these people on the internet............well THEY are the ones that told me to do it!!! THEY did not tell me it would ruin your pump!" LOL

Yeah I think a trip to HF is the way to go! (Man I LOVE that place! Tools as far as the eye can see!)

Kim:cat:

Thanks for the tip Triptyx, Harbor Freight (yea yea i know...) has a 20% off now an I think I can buy one for about the same price as that rental. If it can pump water...well...who knows...it's Harbor Freight :) Good idea though.

From what I read, I don't want to drain this way because it will cause the skimmers to run dry and overheat my pool pump.

You'd have to have floor drains and a diverter plate if the FDs route through the skimmer, but yes, you could have a problem draining if the valves are set wrong. A dedicated submersible pump is, in my opinion, worth the cost.

Ok, finally got back from the weekend of awful, and back on track with this. Will be draining today. Called Home Depot and renting a 8000 gph pump, so hopefully won't take too long.

Will drain until first step, which I'm hoping is close to 60% of the pool. I might not be able to drain to 75% for safety, but getting CYA levels way down, and the massive evaporation rate in SETexas should assist.

I don't have anything but Triclor to re-chlorinate, so I'll try to get my dad to start with just bleach from the store first so we don't start putting in CYA right away. I'll check the poolmath calculator.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.