Moving the pool - Doing it right this time!

kne

Gold Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
Concord, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
Bought and moved into a house last spring. Wanted a pool & found a new in box on Craigslist. Found a level spot in the yard, threw up the pool and realized our version of level is different than an AGP's version of level. We were about 2-3 inches off, I researched and found TFP. Decided against draining the pool and just prayed no failure happened, luckily it didn't. Now we have decided on a new location and are in the process of prepping the area. Here's where we are so far:

The original set up - plain and simple, but gets the job done. You can see the sketchiness of the frame in this picture a little although it's not fully filled here yet.

Our side yard that went unused - you can see the original fence line about 25 feet in
IMG_2205 by stepknee, on Flickr

Side yard fenced in
IMG_2247 by stepknee, on Flickr
Taking the old fence down

Dog checking out her enlarged yard, you can kind of see in this picture that the ground sits about 2'+ feet below street level

Our lot is only about 10,000 sq feet, but we had access to a tractor so we used it to dig out the area for the retaining wall

Here is the retaining wall built and area for the pool marked off
circle by stepknee, on Flickr

What you can't see to the right of this picture is a pump shed that the pool barely clears and piles of rock, cement, pavers, etc that need to be moved. I got the materials to build a water level last night to start digging and leveling and bought the anti-fatigue mats from Harbor Freight for under the pool - do I need to table these together?

We can get those 1,000lb bags of sand from Lowes for $30 and my boyfriend thinks it would be a good idea to put it down before the mats, but I am not sure if it's necessary.

Open and hoping for suggestions or ideas for this project...

Sand isn't a bad idea. I like to soak it thoroughly and level and tamp it down when it's wet.

Started getting into leveling the ground last night. Definitely not as simple as I hoped. Getting into the pool by Monday is still the goal, but might be closer to a dream at this point.

Here is the simple water level - yard sticks and vinyl tubing

The glare is horrible in this picture, but on the right is a marker that has the lowest point we are leveling to. One end of the level is zip-tied to that

The piles of dirt that we need to find a new home for, as well as a ginormous weed (I totally would have pulled that had I noticed it before I took the picture, lol) and wood, cement and retaining wall blocks that get to be moved this weekend.

Tonight will be a couple more scrapes with the tractor and then the manual shoveling to get the entire circle to level. I think the highest point we had to dig down is 4 inches. Which I swear didn't sound like much at the begining....

Yesterday was a couple runs to the quarry to dump the pile of concrete and a lot of moving dirt. Got the tarps & mats down, and the pool is being filled as I type :)

Little brother stopped by yesterday so we put him to work

Mats down!

Putting the puzzle together

It's standing!

It's fair to say that it wasn't sparkly clean when we put it away last year, and we used a few bottles of baby powder before rolling it up. I brushed it down and shop vac as much as possible before the water went in, but it is a little cloudy. I have the robot vac running to try and grab some of the dirt but I think it wont be until the water reaches the filter that it will be clear.

I have my test kit and stirrer all ready to go once I can reach the water :) For those of you on SWG, do you start off with bleach when you open?

I'm pretty sure if your relationship can survive the debacle of installing a pool in a box, it can survive anything. I need the pool fun to wipe away the stress!

Jacked up the pool, removed the pavers and came across a hole :(

To the pool store for a patch kit, listened to the girl explain the best $80 algecide and shock fix to the dude in front of me.

I'm off to jump in the freezing cold pool!
f63c1e121c7d6a8f9966163a4dd4723f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

LOL on the relationship thing! Our "test" was a car ride down south for 3 job interviews then back. It was 4 hours one way. He got offered all three jobs but turned them down as they were not what he thought they would be. We are still together 35 years later! LOL

That is a easy fix for someone with your skills! So how was the water?? burrrrrrrrrrrr but SO worth it I bet!

Kim:cat:

Patching the pool was way easier than I thought it would be! And once I got over the shock of the cold water it was really nice, the fact it was 90 outside didn't hurt.

I will say the mats under the pool, although kind of pricey, were totally worth any hassle.

Yesterday we bought a yard of rocks and some bamboo fencing and continued on the project.

A yard of rocks is a lot more than it sounds like

Bamboo going up

Rocks down

This week is to get bender board to keep the rocks in (should have totally done that first, but that would be a story for another day), pavers for around the back side of the pool and some kind of ground covering up there too since a lawnmower wont easily fit back there anymore.

It was so nice to have the pool up to cool off in after moving all the rocks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So we finally got the bender board down, a lot of moving rocks around but it's done. And kimkats, long story short, I pick my battles, lol. I wanted to buy it, someone thought it wasn't really needed. The same someone the realized it would have been a smart idea. It took us probably an extra hour of work, but he was down on the ground moving rocks one handful at a time with me. He has gone above and beyond with this pool that I said would be "no big deal, just toss it up in the corner" so no complaints :)

I also made this simple PVC solar cover holder

LOVE how it looks! So finished looking and nice!

Good job on picking the battles.........win-win for all and VERY smart!

YOU made the cover holder? SWEET and bet is makes life so much easier!

Make me think of my next "job"......pole holders so they are not laying on the deck. hummm thinking and have an idea now! THANKS!

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.