Public pools

Oh lordie don't we know it!!!

Most TFP'ers won't even go into friends pools if there is a hint of cloudiness or green. :suspect: Ugh. We become pool snobs because we *know* how good it can be.

Hotel pools scare the dickens outta me!:puker:

Yeah, these stories and the underlying CDC report have been posted a number of times. Obviously these are public pools and little of the information in the CDC report is either new, surprising or all that relevant to TFP users. Public pools are gross; heck, I won't even swim in friend's pools if I know they let service companies run them or they follow pool store advice. When it comes to pools, most TFP'ers are pool snobs :D

It says many uncovered violations, including pH level and disinfectant concentrations. However, it doesn't say what these guidelines are. Are the using the recommended 7.2-7.6 pH that I see on the pH up (or down) bottles, as opposed to 7.5-7.8 recommended here? Or the 2-3 ppm FC often recommended in guidelines, or do they use an FC level based on CYA? I'm by no means saying public pools are clean, but based on industry guidelines, I think our pools would be in violation....

I keep "threatening" to test their water with my test kit. LOL My husband just shakes his head. Yah, pool snob I am.

- - - Updated - - -

"Nearly 80 percent of inspections uncovered at least one health violation, namely involving the pool's safety equipment (which can increase the risk of drowning), pH levels (which can trigger skin and eye irritation), or disinfectant concentrations (which can increase your risk of picking up a pool-borne infection). In 12 percent of cases, these issues were horrifying enough to warrant closing the pool."

Sounds like chlorine levels too low and pH levels too high.

I've been a "pool snob" ever since the first year of using the "Trouble Free" method. I've seen pools (at a camping resort) where you wouldn't have seen a body at the bottom of the deep end. I almost wanted to call the Maryland Dept. of Health (or whatever they call it down there. Soooooo many times I have seen a sick pool, but this one in particular was the worst I ever laid eyes on.

- - - Updated - - -

My favorite is when you overhear people say that since they can smell the chlorine the water is fine! Then when you explain that if you smell chlorine it is actively killing organics they look at you like you are crazy!

My wife now understands this as well. ;-)

Oh lordie don't we know it!!!

Most TFP'ers won't even go into friends pools if there is a hint of cloudiness or green. :suspect: Ugh. We become pool snobs because we *know* how good it can be.

Hotel pools scare the dickens outta me!:puker:

I have actually brought my K-2006 with me when I'm traveling with little kids. I don't tell them there is a pool unless I test it and like it. On one occasion, in an indoor pool, an employee came in and asked me if I needed anything, presumably assuming I was the pool boy. Another time at an outdoor pool, another guest asked me if it was safe to be in the pool. Good times.

What's the big deal with this report? Who says the standards they are not meeting are even worth meeting? Who says it is safe even if they are at it?

For example, page 232 of the model aquatic health code 1st edition code reads, "5.7.3.1.1.2.1 Not Using Cyanuric Acid A QUATIC VENUES not using cyanuric acid shall maintain a minimum FAC concentration of 1.0 PPM ( MG /L) . 5.7.3.1.1.2.2 Using Cyanuric Acid A QUATIC VENUES using cyanuric acid shall maintain a minimum FAC concentration of 2.0 PPM ( MG /L) . "

Fantastic, I feel safe now.

I mean there is more than that, but really, what purpose does that serve? Including that seems more likely to confuse than to ensure proper levels.

My favorite is when you overhear people say that since they can smell the chlorine the water is fine! Then when you explain that if you smell chlorine it is actively killing organics they look at you like you are crazy!

You could just say "If you smell the chlorine it means there's poop in the pool." That would get them. :crazy:
:snorkle:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.