Sitting / retaining wall around pool DIY

Jun 9, 2015
East Meadow/NY
Hello there,

I am getting a 14x22 freeform radiant pool installed semi inground and I wanted to see if anyone has any information on how to build a stone wall half way around the pool. I have seen plenty of pictures online of this type of hardcscape but cannot find any posting on how it can be done DIY. Has anyone here take on this type of project?

ef6e107a6c21cf5e1ec492ea4c21f639.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the cinder block purely for aesthetics? If so, you could absolutely use cinder blocks (CMU, concrete masonry unit) to build the wall then veneer the facade to. This is how I had a retaining wall just recently built. Your foundation will need to be built to support the weight of the block and stacked stone though.

Thank you. How long after the pool install should I wait to start building the wall? Since I'm going semi inground the backfill area will need to settle. I was hoping to get the look of the last pic I posted minus the steps. I will be building a deck 1/2 way around the pool and wanted the wall the other 1/2. What would you say the most economical way to go? Veneer facade isn't cheap either.

The wall will need a foundation, below the frost line to prevent heaving and cracking of the facade. I am not familiar with the type of pool you are installing, but if concrete is used maybe the foundation could be poured at the same time. And you are right, it is not cheap. The veneer is cheaper than full stones and there are several options including concrete formed veneer. Maybe you can find something within your budget.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello there again,
My pool is a semi inground radiant freeform 14x22. My installer should be pouring a concrete collar around my pool. I was thinking is it possible to frame treated 4x4 around the axis points of the pool kind of like a fence post. Then somehow curve cement board to follow the curves of the pool. For the top deck I was thinking of having someone custom bend composite decking to also follow the mimic the curves of the pool wall.

Thank you. My installer will be adding a concrete collar around the pool (semi inground 24"). Do you suggest I set sonotubes around the pool. If I wait till after the collar is in I won't be able to get close to the pool wall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.