AquaComfort 125 Electric Heat Pump BTU?

FattyLumpkin

Gold Supporter
May 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Hi - I've searched the manuals and done a cursory search online, but can't seem to locate the BTUs my heat pump generates. I'm trying to calculate 1) the cost per kwH to run this thing, and 2) what my expectations should be for heating my pool from 65-ish to 80 for this weekend. The temps up here in NE are supposed to get into the 80s moving into the weekend (near 90 tomorrow), so I figured I'd fire it up and watch the dollar bills literally evaporate -- I just wanted to get a baseline energy usage and whether a 15 degree gain in 3 days of 80+ degree warmth was even reasonable...

Any help appreciated - thanks all!

Under ideal conditions you will get about 125kBTU out of your heat pump. They claim to have a COP of 6 so for every watt you put in of electricity you will get 6 times the amount back in heat.
1000w = 3412 BTU/hr
3412*6= 20472
125000/20472= 6.1

So you will use roughly 6.1 kW/hr to run the heat pump. Which fits with the recommended breaker size for that unit. If your rates are like mine @ $0.22 kW/hr after delivery charges it will cost you about $1.20 an hour to run your heat pump.

In a perfect world 1 BTU heats 1 pound of water 1 degree. So water weighs 8.34 lbs/gal and you have 21k gallons.
8.34*21000= 175140 lbs
175140/125000= 1.4 hr / degree
15/1.4 = 10.7 hours just to heat the water in your pool

Once you add the mass of the pool walls and evaporative loss ( you have the solar cover on right ) Time to heat everything up takes a lil longer. And as outdoor temps drop the COP of the heat pump drops too. Aquacomfort claims to have High COP values across a broad temp range. What you will get real world you can only figure out by doing what you said and turning it on. Your cost may vary but with consistent use of a solar cover when you aren't using the pool you should expect to see a bill between 300-600 for the entire season. That's with keeping the water in the mid to upper 80s.

- - - Updated - - -

Aqua comfort only sells equipment thru authorized dealer/installers. You cant purchase a unit directly or online.

Oops my math was wrong its 1.4*15 = 21 hours to heat the water in your pool 15 degrees

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.