ABG in South Central PA

yfd

May 9, 2016
PA
Hi folks, my name is Kevin and my new 24' ABG is going in today. We went with a Wilbar Monument which has the extruded aluminum walls. Hayward 1.5hp pump and Hayward sand filter. I will put it all in my sig. by the end of the day.

Here's a few photos:
before the dig

Wall up

The hill was more drastic than I thought, so they had to raise the lower side nearly a foot, and still the upper side at highest point will be more than two foot buried eventually. One of the issues with going deeper is that I needed the pool walls to count as my 48in barrier for inspection. I would have had a huge 4ft wide x 3.5ft deep around to pool for some time. Compromise that I'm not necessarily happy with but...The installer has been in business since the late 70's, gets good reviews, and has pools that have been up for over 20years so I am trusting them.

I'm not sure who is responsible for pool bonding to the pump. I thought it was the electrician but they have the wire connected to the pool already and there is a probe installed in the skimmer piping and wire reading for that already. I was thinking I would have to do the water bonding myself so there is a plus.

I told the installer that didn't want any of their fancy chemical sanitation units, that I was going to do chlorine. Should have seen the look on the salesman's face then. :) Installer is giving me a bucket of Trichlor which I think I will use to start and build up my CYA. How much should I use though is the question? I don't want to overshoot CYA.

Hello and Kevin and welcome! :wave: Great call on the chemicals! You can use the Poolmath calculator in my sig below to help you figure-out how much CYA will be added by each tablet depending on what kind you have there. They are slow dissolving, so you may want to grab a 4lb bottle of granular stabilizer from Wal-Mart as well to help get CYA to at least 30 for now. Sounds like you're ready though and have been doing some reading here at TFP. That's great, and we're glad to have you with us.

Thanks Texas Splash. I'll pick up the granules today. I should note that I'm only getting one truck load of water today. It's cheaper for me to use the garden hose than get it delivered, and if I'm really really lucky I might be able to use the hydrant thats only a few hundred feet from my house.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.