Pool overflow drain... no, that's a gap in the skimmer!

juxta

Silver Supporter
Aug 22, 2015
San Jose, CA
I "inherited" my pool in the summer of last year and marveled this winter that the pool didn't overflow with all of the rain we had. I figured it must have had an overflow drain somewhere, but was never able to determine where.

I was just curious enough to do a bit of detective work and found that there's actually a gap between the pool coping / cement and the skimmer (see picture) that I'm assuming the water drains into when it gets high enough. I definitely don't have a leak as the water level only drains down to approximately where the pool waterline should be and then stops, so it doesn't impact normal day to day use of the pool.

Is this something I should leave alone or should fix? If fix, would something like silicon caulk be the best way?

IMG_1273.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1273.jpg
    IMG_1273.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 80
No, it's not draining to anything that's obvious at least and my house is on a slope with a drainage ditch behind it so I would expect to see it there.

Any recommendations on what to use if I go to fill the gap?

I'm confused ....if you never manually remove water and you state that it drains down to where the water level should be, then stops ,it would never make it to that gap between the coping. You either have a leak at that level, or an overflow at that level.

That's correct. I mentioned above that I noticed the gap after sever rains where the pool overflowed. My main concern is similar to what rphpool mentioned and that if it's not intended then it's draining into an area it shouldn't.

What I'm saying is that's not your only leak if it settles down to normal level... Otherwise it would stay just below those cracks. Or you have a slow working overflow. Most all pools , water will find its way out somewhere if it gets high enough. I'd just be diligent to manually drain when necessary. That being said , always a good idea to seal cracks.
Kris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.