Need help selecting a replacement pump

Oct 9, 2015
Niagara Falls
Background: my hayward super pump 1hp pump (came with house) was screaming when it ran. I bought some replacement bearings for it, but when I took the motor apart, it wasn't in great condition, there was a lot of rust and corrosion to the point that the back bearing would NOT come off. It had clearly been rebuilt before as there was teflon tape everywhere (including where it shouldn't be). Also I may have dropped the core and damaged the end of the shaft where the governor connects (oops).

Options:
Replace motor, seals, and gaskets using existing wet end.
Replace entire pump.

If I'm going to spend a bunch of money on this thing, then I thought I'd make sure that the pump is correct for my pool. I've been trying to wrap my head around all this, but I'm not sure :S

Equipment. Besides the pump, I have a Jacuzzi FM24 sand filter. It has on the side two listings for GPM. it says GPM/sqft is 15 when using a 7MAG-F (Jacuzzi 3/4pump) and 20 when using a 1MAG-f (1hp). It says it's 3.0 sqft so I guess those numbers are 45 and 60. So is my max flow rate 60? if so why the heck can't they just write that???

Plumbing is all 1.5" poly. The pool is 18x36 (extended octagon), 8ft in the deep end, about 4 in the shallow so I've been using an average of 6ft which puts me at about 29000 gal. Does that sound right?

I have 1 skimmer and a main drain. I'd estimate that the skimmer run is about 40 ft to the threeway valve and the main is about 60 (I didn't account for vertical run because I assumed it sloped). That gives me an average head of 50 ft I believe.

*IF* I'm correct, and that's a big if, then I need 61 gpm at about 50ft of head. (My plumbing caps me out at 60gpm anyway right?)

It's the average head that I'm not sure of. if it's right, then I'd need a 1.5 hp pump, but if it's closer to 40 ft, then I'm fine with the 1hp.

Can someone tell me if I'm doing this math correctly?
Is there any advantage to buying a whole new pump instead of just replacing the motor? (lets assume I'm capable of doing that).

I don't have money to burn, so I'm looking for something cost effective, but also don't want to spend money on the wrong thing.

I get the impression that a lot of the differences are just brand preference, so with that in mind, can someone check my math and make a recommendation for me?

I kinda don't trust the pool store. ;)

Hi BestJoeyEver,
I can't answer all your questions I'll help out as best I can and put a call out to some of our experts who can better help with the calculations.

You have a fairly large pool so a 1hp or 2 speed 1.5 hp would work well. If the wet end is in good shape, and if swapping out the whole pump would lead to extensive re-plumbing at the pad, then matching a motor to the impeller is a good cost saving option. When swapping out the motor only it is best to compare apples to apples. Try and match the specs and size of the new motor to the old motor as closely as you can.

j_m_min, we have a search feature that allows us to pull up unanswered posts, so posting just to bump a post does not necessarily get the op more help. Yes it moves the post to the top of the list, but it also shows that someone has commented on that thread which may prompt some of our experts to by-pass that thread to look for ones that have gone unanswered.

We are all volunteers here, and BestJoeyEver was asking very specific, technical questions about his pump options. Many of us cannot post from work so the more technical questions may take a little longer to be answered. We all care. We would not be here if we didn't. Also some forums take days to answer even simple questions, waiting 2 1/2 hours is hardly unreasonable.

Hi BestJoeyEver,
I can't answer all your questions I'll help out as best I can and put a call out to some of our experts who can better help with the calculations.

You have a fairly large pool so a 1hp or 2 speed 1.5 hp would work well. If the wet end is in good shape, and if swapping out the whole pump would lead to extensive re-plumbing at the pad, then matching a motor to the impeller is a good cost saving option. When swapping out the motor only it is best to compare apples to apples. Try and match the specs and size of the new motor to the old motor as closely as you can.
Thanks zea

Fortunately, my pad is Uh... Non existant at the moment. I tore it out and am building a shed, so it will all be re-plumbed anyway. The more I looked into it, I can get a whole new super pump for only about & 70 more than the motor only and some replacement seals, so given that I don't know the history on it, maybe I'll just start fresh. Maybe one day I'll rebuild the old one.

The question remains... Is the super pump the way to go? Is there a better option? Hopefully someone has some advice on that.

Joey

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Joey, unfortunately you have asked your question on one of the busiest weeks in the year around here so you are not likely to get as detailed of answers as you may get at other times. Having said that the best course of action depends on knowing details like your electrical rates, simply replacing your 1HP single speed motor is a simple solution, but may cost more to run in the long run. If it were me I would replace the motor and keep the wet end if it is still in good shape, but use either a 2 speed motor or a variable speed motor. Hayward now sells a version of the super pump with a variable speed motor. In my general experience wet ends will last through about 3-4 motor rebuilds replacements, at least in my climate. With a 2 speed pump you could run it on low most of the time and only turn up to high to backwash or vacuum, assuming your SWG flow sensor is happy with it on low. If you switch to a variable speed (motor or complete pump) you can again save on electricity, but fine tune the exact motor speed at the expense of a more complicated slightly more failure prone motor.

I am not familiar with Hayward products. My stuff is Pentair and that is what I know.

If you are interested in a variable speed pump, this is a great one and sized right for you. Here are a couple of places to get it.
Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001 sunplay.com
Pentair VS PUMP VAR SPEED W/ TIMER SUPER FLO PUMP 115/230V - 342001 - INYOPools.com

Or if you want a 2 speed pump here is a good 1-1/2 hp pump
Pentair SuperFlo Pump 340043. Pentair 340043 sunplay.com
Pentair SuperFlo 1-1/2 HP Dual Speed Pump - 340043 - INYOPools.com

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.