SoCal Pool Renovation for Summer 2016

jbailey895

Apr 25, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
After several PB bids, we finally have come to terms for a renovation of our 30+ yr old pool, that was remarkably serviceable without any major help for that long. PB we went with is very laid-back, which is a bit of a concern for my semi-type A personality (I'm an attorney), and the estimates have been a 1-page bid sheet, that has changed several times. No specific payment schedule agreement, nor any "formal" contract of any kind has been done. Makes me nervous, but he's resurfaced the pools of friends, so I'm told to relax and let him do his job (I hope).

Going with Midnight Blue Quartzscapes and poured-in place concrete coping to replace our old, ugly brick coping. Also raising the spa wall with spill-over to correct the water-level height we had before. Probably going to get a couple bags of Abalone shells to enhance the sparkle.

Pool is rectangular 15x30, with 3' ends, and a 6' middle.

We are scheduled to start demo friday, and I'm just starting to drain the pool now.

Open to any pre-demo recommendations and/or suggestions for prep, and contractual security (I know I should get it all spelled out in writing, but he seems evasive regarding putting it in writing, although I know better). . .

I'm currently draining the pool just using the pool vac attached to the skimmer, and the valve switched to "waste". Seems to be working OK so far, although the closure of the "skimming" function on the hose sucks air at the skimmer. I have a small pump when it gets too low for the pool vac, but are there any better ways to drain the pool?

thanks
Joel

OK, I'm learning as I go. Pump overheated from cavitating, so I stopped after dropping the level about a ft. I have the little 1/2 Hp sump pump in there now, it will take a lot longer, but won't ruin my pool equip. I should have researched this better before beginning. . .

A few "before" pics. . .
2016 Pool Renovation by Joel Bailey | Photobucket

The deck near the jacuzzi has lifted about an inch or so from the pool bonding level, and we got a quote to remove those sections and re-pour, but decided it didn't bother us enough to change it out now, as we may eventually re-do the decking around the pool, so we're not doing that in this renovation.

The Poolsafe pool cover has not been used in about4-5 years, but we're considering getting a new cover for it, so I might just remove the tracks and keep the spool on the side for replacement. Costs to build a vault and do under-coping tracking, with new cover material, would have exceeded $10k, so thats out as well.

Thanks for the overall pictures. Is that the original plaster? Always interesting to get data points on what types of surfaces lasted how long and what they looked like at that point.

Good approach on the autocover. Will your new spa height allow for the surface track to run flush on the spa edge if you do reinstall it?

Do you know if he will be chipping out the current plaster all over or just at the edges and at pipe intrusions? A full chip-out is not unusual (nor is a an edge-only chip-out so long as the existing plaster is not delaminated). Just good to know which approach he is taking so you can set your expectations accordingly. I've seen several people who had different expectations for a re-plaster on that detail.

Thanks Bmore, good questions. (Your build is fantastic, btw) The PB will raise the spa wall, and coping will cross, so no issues for the pool cover.

Good Q re chip-out, I never asked, should I push for a full chip-out? The plaster is probably the original from 1982, but there are only two rust spots on the spa wall, so not sure which would be better. Our PB is a big fan of fiberglass (he does a lot of commercial stuff) but we really wanted the colored quartzscape, and he's done several of those as well.

It happens both ways all the time. As long as the current plaster is sound, then applying over it is not a problem. The key is being comfortable that your PB is good at what he does to determine the soundness of the underlying surface.
A full chip-out is a guarantee of sorts but is more expensive and not always necessary.

Does anyone have a contact or source for abalone shells? Our PB has been lagging on "looking into it" and we start demo tomorrow.

Another Q: My pool cover is old, and I'm trying to remove it myself but the motor mount bolts into the deck are stripped, any suggestions on getting the old motor and spool out of the way before demo guys come? Was thinking a dremel to cut the bolts. . .

OK, first phase complete in a day! Demo crew came out at 0830 on Sat morning of Memorial Day weekend. 6 hours of noise and dust, and Bam! Full chip-out complete, next week will be steel and concrete, then tile and resurfacing. Still haven't picked the color of concrete or tile to go with Midnight Blue Quartzscapes, any suggestions welcomed :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, had to go to work when they were doing the surfacing. Came home, and not sure if I'm excited or concerned. For still-wet, this midnight blue looks very light, and the east wall looks quite a bit lighter than the west. I will sleep on it and hopefully talk to PB in morning, but the mottled-splotchy look is definitely prevalent in my pool. This is what people warned me about when going for a darker color. Pics are still loading, will post soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Am I overly-concerned about the tie-die mottled look? I was expecting a lot darker color too. . .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.