Quick question on 1.0hp vs 1.5hp

May 18, 2016
Kennesaw Ga
Hi, I have a quick question on hp.
My current setup is a Hayward 1.5 hp Super II, S-244T filter, Intellichlor 40 on 1.5" plumbing. Vac is a Barracuda G35 that I hook to the skimmer. Pool is 25,000 gal vinyl (Patrician style 18" x 38" with an 8' deep end) with 3 returns and main drain. Electric in my area averages about 16 cents/kwh
Since the pump (my 2nd pump in 24 years) is starting to whine (bearings?) and the wet end leaks I looked at VS pumps, but based on everything I read on the internet about VS pumps I'm not sure I want to take a chance with the problems many have mentioned with the electronics. I know many of you suggest surge protection, but it's not something I can do at this time $$$ because my main panel is full and would require an electrician to install a subpanel first, etc, etc. (My pool pump is wired directly to the main panel in the house)

So, I'm now considering a 2 speed pump, which some of you on this site recommended to others, but I'm not sure of hp because many of you also talk about 1.5hp being too much in most cases with 1.5" pipes, so my question is what size motor should I consider... 1hp or 1.5hp with my current setup? And will there be a real advantage with the 2 speed? Also does the 2 speed motor use a toggle switch or is it something I would set up with my timer? BTW, my current timer is an Intermatic T104R that runs for 12 hours per day.Thank you all. Appreciate everyone's time and input.

Unless you have a spa or very large water feature, go with the smallest pump possible. I have a 20k pool with a 1/2 HP two speed pump and I run solar and a suction cleaner at the same time on high speed and solar also on low speed.

Also, you could add a T106 timer for low speed time control.

A couple of pumps to look at:

MaxFlo XL 1 HP 2 speed - SP2307X10
SuperFlo 1 HP 2 speed - 340042

Hi Don,

That is the age old debate between mechanical and digital, do you go with the digital or go with the tried and true mechanical route? I like the PureLine Prime Pump which uses a Century Digital Dual Speed motor meaning that you don’t need to purchase an additional timer to control the dual speed, however this is still using electronics. If you want to go the mechanical route then you can go with the Hayward 1 HP Dual Speed Super Pump but you would need to purchase a T106 dual speed timer that would wire into your current T104 timer. Your T104 timer would continue to power the pump on and off and the T106 Timer would switch between high speed and low speed. The downside to this is you have the additional cost of the timer and the wiring is much more difficult the digital option. Here is a Guide on How to Wire T106 to T104 Timer for Dual Speed Pumps which you may find helpful. The real advantage of the dual speed pump will be your energy savings over a single speed. The dual speed pump allows you to run the pump at a low HP which costs a fraction of the price to operate compared to the high HP (approximately 55% less to operate at low speed vs. high speed). Factors to consider to see if it makes sense to invest in the more expensive dual speed pump are… how expensive is your electricity and how many months out of the year do you run the pump. If your electricity is expensive and you run the pump the majority of the year then a dual speed pump is a great option. PM me if you have any questions.

Mark and Patrick, Thanks for the quick responses. I'm good with purchasing the 1hp 2 speed pump. I'm hoping the footprint and layout of my existing Hayward will be comparable to the new Hayward pump because I have about 4" where the main drain and skimmer lines come out of the ground and connect to the pump. Again thanks for your insight. Hope you have a good Memorial Day weekend!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.