Should I use Sand or Foam?

May 24, 2016
Fl
I am in the process of installing a 14 foot diameter Intex Ultra Frame Round pool. So far I have tilled the ground to remove the grass and weeds. Everything seems pretty level, I used 2 8 foot 2x4s to level out the ground some. There were a few holes where I laid down top soil, considering on how it settles in the next week or so, I might rent a sod roller to compact it down. I also plan on spraying weed killer to try to prevent weeds from popping up.

I am looking for opinions on what I should use as the base for the pool? Is it better to use sand or some kind of foam? I am trying to make this budget friendly so cheaper the better! If I should use sand about how much sand do you think I will need for a 14 foot round pool? If I go the foam route, what is the cheapest/most economical foam that gets the job done?

Also, I plan on only keeping the pool up for 3-4 months and depending might not ever use it again next summer.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: To be honest, your last sentence kind of changed my mind on some initial options. If this is really going to be a short-lived pool, there really is not much sense investing in a lot. You do however want to ensure the pool and footings remain stable for safety purposes. Sand is comfortable to the feet, but not always the best for stabilization, especially if your area tends to receive a lot of rain that could disrupt it underneath. Many people use padding or foam, but again ... for just 3-4 months? For that short period of time, if you have 2 or 3 inches of sand you should be okay as long as the post bases are on something stable. Maybe build-up the area around slightly to promote water run-off away from the pool. For the sand, just a wag here ... but I'd probably start with a full yard of sand from your local stone & soil place and see how far that takes you. You may need more depending on how thick you spread it and pack it down.

Hopefully some others who set-up an AGP for one season may have some other "short-season" tricks to help. In the meantime, you can also do a search from our home page for AGP bases and you should see many discussions. Nice you have you with us.

I called a couple landscape supply stores today and cheapest place I found had sand was at $40 a yard. I am thinking getting either 1.5 or 2 yards so it would run me about 80 without delivery (could probably pick it up myself). The pink sterophone at Home Depot is about $35 for a 4 x 8 sheet. If my math is correct I would need 8 sheets for a total of about $280. Are these prices about normal? Can anyone recommend a cheaper foam option for a base? Any other opinions on going sand vs foam as a base?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.