Steps After Pool Fill

Jun 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all. I hope this is my only thread I need to start this year!!

I am going to give the TFP method a go this year. I just received the TF100 test kit yesterday and plan to get my pool filled this week. I am filling via city water so here is my question.

Is it best to fill completely and then run a full chemistry test on the water? Then of course I can add whatever is necessary. Or can some tests be run while the pool is filling so I can get an idea of what is needed when it is finally filled. My plan was to buy a bunch of bleach and then have some CYA, baking soda, and borax on hand.

I have always used a product that was a once a week type thing that had "everything needed" in one bag. While the water quality was okay I don't want keep spending $$.

Thanks everyone!!

Good morning. Let the pool fill up to the skimmer so you can circulate water and run a full set of tests. New water won't have CYA, so you can plan for that now. Get a white tube sock and be prepared to add the amount of stabilizer you need for an initial CYA target of 30. Once water is moving, add a little bleach on day 1 for a FC target of 3 ppm, then once the stabilizer is dissolved, day 2 and on you can maintain FC at 3-5. Adjust pH to the mid-7s. Those are your most immediate concerns. CH should not be a player for you, and you can adjust TA if needed later. Good luck!

I would test the fill water as well just to see where you are starting from, but you are on the right track. You may never need baking soda or borax, so no need to purchase those yet.

How long should you let the pool run for after a fill to run tests? Does it matter?
Probably doesn't matter that much since no chemicals have been added yet. Just pull the first sample and go from there. Add chemicals and adjust as needed about every 20-30 minutes or so after that.

IF you think about it, while you are filling, its actually circulating a little bit. You probably wont need to, but it was recommended to me to do a "mini SLAM" on initial fill. Just to make sure nothing was in there.
I did it and passed all 3 tests that very night. But at least I knew in my own head that i was 100% good.

The fill will actually start tonight but I did run a quick test on just my tap water. FC was 5, CC 0, CYA 0. I still need to run a PH test but I was pleased to see those #s and happier to see how easy it was to test with the TF100 (shameless plug)

It is funny because when I first got the pool the pool store just said to dump a jug of shock in after fill and will be good to go.

One thing about pool builders and stores ... they have no problem just dumping stuff in the water. :) Be cautious about how high the FC is in the water until you have CYA in there. That's why I suggest adding CYA first. You can get stabilizer soaking and it doesn't interfere with anything else you need to do. The CYA serves as a buffer not only to the sun but to the pool and swimmers. Without any CYA, the FC is in a sense much stronger, so it must be controlled.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.