I bought a house in March and have been using information on this site to help me get the pool balanced. I have a teenage son whose friends use the pool too. The former owners were elderly and had a pool service come by weekly. It's a 20 year old large pool (40,000 gallons) with a diving board. The plaster has some stains that I am starting to troubleshot and I have 5 lbs of AA on hand. It could be the original plaster (not certain though). Also some of the aggregate concrete decking is cracked by the diving board (unknown cause). Current tft-100 results are:

FC - 7
CC - 0
TC - 7
PH - 7.6
CH - 225
TA - 90
CYA - ~40
Borates - 50

I'm a widow and do the testing/chemicals myself. I'm very grateful for this site. I feel it's gotten me off to a good start! I did grow up with a pool in Illinois and remember my dad using a test kit, sanitizing primarily with liquid chlorine and don't recall any issues with the pool - ever.

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

Numbers look good! :thumleft:

You mention Illinois but your location says Flower Mound. Isn't that Texas? Please add your state to your location in your profile so it shows up over there <----, climate is an important factor in pool care.

For instance, if your are in Texas then you will want to raise your CYA up to 50 in June and maybe 60 in July if you use a lot of chlorine and your pool is in full sun a lot of the day. Higher CYA will protect the chlorine from the sun so you will use less daily.

Howdy back atcha! Glad you found this site and kudos on getting a good test kit. Looks like you're doing great.

Does your son help you with the pool? I bet he and his friends eat you out of house and home, huh? ::epds::

Welcome to the forum!

GracieA7 said:
Well, my son is the one who wanted the pool, so he does help with the cleaning occasionally. They definitely do eat a lot, especially after sports practice - like 5 times what most adults eat. So the fridge and pantry get cleaned out more than the pool.
I used to be like that when I was that age. My dad used to call me "Jaws". My mom hated the fact that I could eat like that and not gain weight. Youth does have its advantages.