New to pools, Brown pool, SLAMming soon (updated #s)

Bought a house with a 15' above ground, approx. 5700 gallons. It had been closed for approx. 2 years. The cover was dry-rotted bad so I removed the cover and unfortunately got lots of algae and debris in the pool.
Pumps runs good and sand in the filter looked good.
Water doesn't look so great though. Very dirty. Can't see bottom. Brownish color.
I bought a K-2006 test kit but honestly I've never tested pool chemistry so not confident. Planning to take a sample to pool store as well to double check my findings.

FC- 0 - pretty sure this is accurate. there has been no chlorine added in the pool for long time.
CC- ? - I couldn't get the test sample to turn color after testing for FC. It stayed clear. Is 0 possible?
PH- at 7.0 or lower. Base demand was 4 drops to 7.4 - I want to double check this and get it balanced.
TA- 60 ppm
CH- 135 ppm
CYA- 32 ppm - hoping this is right. I found tri-chlor tabs in the deck box but also found old liquid chlorine in the garage.

So, from what I've read I need to get the PH right and then start SLAM process.
I have plenty of tri-chlor shock and found some cooper algaecide. Would this be helpful to get me started?
I need a point in the right direction.

Thanks,
Brian

Re: New to pools, opening a black/brown pool, just got my test kit, now what?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Don't bother with the pool store, their testing is historically not reliable ... we can teach you to trust your numbers.

Sounds like FC and CC are 0, which is not surprising.
pH is a tad low, maybe add some borax to get it to 7.2
TA is fine for now
CH, does not really matter for your pool, although that number is not a multiple of 10 or 25, so I am not sure how you got it.
CYA did you estimate the 32? Was it just a bit below the 30ppm line?

You should NOT use the Trichlor shock and DEFINITELY NOT use the copper algaecide (ever).

You just need to raise the pH a bit and follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

Note, if you did not get the K-2006C, you should order the FAS-DPD regent and CYA regent refills now before you run out. tftestkits.net sells them.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Make sure you understand these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

CH, does not really matter for your pool, although that number is not a multiple of 10 or 25, so I am not sure how you got it.
I think I added an extra drop. And might have figured the extra 5. I will test again and double check.

CYA did you estimate the 32? Was it just a bit below the 30ppm line?
It was just below the 30 line.

Note, if you did not get the K-2006C, you should order the FAS-DPD regent and CYA regent refills now before you run out. tftestkits.net sells them.
Thanks for the tip. I will.

Thanks for the welcome. Will work on the PH tomorrow and calculate how much liquid chlorine I'm going to need to pickup.

What is the going rate for gallon of liquid chlorine? I'm getting prices at $3-6 a gallon for 12% from local pool stores. (Not crazy about those guys already- one immediately tried to talk me out of liquid chlorine)

Since my pool is small I'm considering just using 6% from Wal-Mart/Sam's Club or wherever.
According to pool calc I would need 144oz. of 6% to get to 12 ppm. Question is how long till I need to re-up the chlorine and how much? Figuring 144oz. maybe 3-4 times?? Guessing here.

More reagent on the way. Any other advice on stocking up for my weekend SLAM?

In DFW, I've found the cheapest to be at Walmart (Great Value) or Costco (Clorox) at around $3.05/gallon for 8.25%. If you use the 12% variation, be aware of the manufacture date codes. As it'll go bad quicker than the regular household 8.25%.

Adjusting ph and started brushing and filtering. Flow diminishes quick so having to backwash often. Might have to add a some fill water if I keep backwashing, which I assume is going to be the case. Plan to keep brushing and filtering til I can start my SLAM this weekend.
Approx. how long does it take for ph to adjust?
my pump is 60 gpm.

Re: New to pools, opening a black/brown pool, just got my test kit, SLAMming soon.

Check the pH a half hour or so after adjusting.

Re: New to pools, opening a black/brown pool, just got my test kit, SLAMming soon.

Added some fill water so I could keep filtering while I prepare for my SLAM.
Retested this evening
FC 0
CC 0
PH 7.2 Base demand 1 drop
TA 80
CH 150
CYA <30

PH probably would have been on the money if I hadn't filled. CYA went down.
Suggestions on balancing prior to starting SLAM this weekend? Increase CYA?

Water color seems to be improving slightly with filtering and added fill water. Still smells a little funky.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.