Second time "opening" need refresher

Hello friends,
This is my second time opening pool. Last summer I started with green water and had to work hard to clean it. This year I decided to drain and start fresh. My numbers are: FC 0 CC 0 PH so low color not on tester, TA 140, CH 110, CYA 0

Last year I learned that if CYA gets too high, the only way to fix is to drain, so I am very scared to add stabilizer.

I put numbers in pool math and all I have added so far is: 59 oz. bleach.

Do I need to add PH up and stabilizer?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome back again! Well, here's the basics to get started:
- You do need stabilizer (CYA). Use the Poolmath calculator and aim for a low CYA target of 30. That's all.
- One day 1, just keep the FC at about 3 ppm with bleach. Once the stabilizer is in the pool, then increase FC to about 5 ppm.
- PH needs to be about 7.6. Use either soda ash or borax to raise it.

Once you get those three items stabilized, we can worry about TA and anything else. :)

Raise pH right away! Use 20 Mule Team borax as that won't raise your TA too much. Is there an active ingredient on your pH up? MAYBE you could use it... Let us know.

Add enough CYA to get you from 0 to 20. A reading of zero can be zero or 15-25 depending on your testkit. What are you using?

Welcome back again! Well, here's the basics to get started:
- You do need stabilizer (CYA). Use the Poolmath calculator and aim for a low CYA target of 30. That's all.
- One day 1, just keep the FC at about 3 ppm with bleach. Once the stabilizer is in the pool, then increase FC to about 5 ppm.
- PH needs to be about 7.6. Use either soda ash or borax to raise it.

Once you get those three items stabilized, we can worry about TA and anything else. :)

Thanks Pat!

Hey Pat,
Here is where I am today:
FC 3
CC 0
PH 7.9-8
TA 125
CH 125
CYA 35
I used the pool math and it says to lower PH a bit...Should I? I know in the past I have been told anything in the 7's is ok. Will it come down a bit on it's own?
Pool math says raise CH a bit??? I have never had to do that in the past....
Thanks for your help!!!!
Trudy

Hey Pat,
Here is where I am today:
FC 3
CC 0
PH 7.9-8
TA 125
CH 125
CYA 35
I used the pool math and it says to lower PH a bit...Should I? I know in the past I have been told anything in the 7's is ok. Will it come down a bit on it's own?
Pool math says raise CH a bit??? I have never had to do that in the past....
Thanks for your help!!!!
Trudy
pH will only rise on its own, so you do need to add some acid.

And you don't need CH in a vinyl pool. Check that poolmath didn't reset itself on you. Go to the last row and select vinyl/bleach/TFP for suggested levels. Also ensure the volume at the top didn't reset to the default 10,000 gallons. Then just use the Now CH as the Target CH. Done. No CH needed. Same thing for TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.