Easy Set vs. Frame Pool?

cozzmo

May 23, 2016
drtyimu
Considering buying a new pool. Our old one is 6 years old (18x48 Frame Intex) and leaking in way too many spots to patch. Anyway, I'm looking to buy a new one. Looking at three different types:

1. Intex 18x48 Steel Frame (pretty much the exact same we have had)

2. Intex 18x48 Easy Set (with the blue inflatable ring on the top)

3. Intex 20 x 12 x 48 Oval Frame Pool Set[h=1][/h]Leaning towards going to an easy set or the oval frame, but wanted to get the opinion of some knowledgeable people on this board. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Honestly, all are good choices. Personally I think an ultra frame has better support as you aren't strictly relying on the liner/wall for support but have braces/posts for additional. On the oval frame versus round frame, that's also strictly up to you. On average rounds have more service area compared to similar ovals. There are huge ovals however.

Welcome to TFP :)

The steel frames are much better pools.. the round pool gives you more room and is really stable but if the oval works for you they are a great pool.. check out my install of an oval pool in my sig :)

FYI the oval frame pool is kind of a hybrid. It has a inflatable ring around the top but also has a few steel pole propping it up from the side. I have only seen them online and just wondered what the drawbacks or positives were.

I thought it was a little too easy for a child to climb over the side. (My son was a daredevil) more than once someone pushed down on the ring and there was water loss. Not much, as I was always in the pool with them. But had I not been paying attention, I believe a significant amount could have escaped. I had gotten a pinhole or two on the easyset bottom, it was repairable. Have not had any on the two ultra frames I've owned. (Upgraded for depth.)
I enjoyed our easy set pool, but I like the size and strength of the ultra frame a little better. They are more appealing to the eye, too, lol.(to me.)

I thought it was a little too easy for a child to climb over the side. (My son was a daredevil) more than once someone pushed down on the ring and there was water loss. Not much, as I was always in the pool with them. But had I not been paying attention, I believe a significant amount could have escaped. I had gotten a pinhole or two on the easyset bottom, it was repairable. Have not had any on the two ultra frames I've owned. (Upgraded for depth.)
I enjoyed our easy set pool, but I like the size and strength of the ultra frame a little better. They are more appealing to the eye, too, lol.(to me.)

Thanks again for the information. I agree with everything you said, just wanted to hear it from someone who has owned an easy set. The reason I considered the oval pool is because it looks (at least from the online photos) like it has kind of combined the steel frame with the easy set. Pool.jpeg

Thanks again for the information. I agree with everything you said, just wanted to hear it from someone who has owned an easy set. The reason I considered the oval pool is because it looks (at least from the online photos) like it has kind of combined the steel frame with the easy set. View attachment 48668

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Previously I had a an easy set and a frame pool. I found that the blow up ring was a pain.. constantly keeping air in it. My frame pool was awesome.. and stood up to lots of abuse.. it was still in great shape when I gave it away before upgrading.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm just gonna replace with a metal frame of the same size (18x48). So now the question is:

Do I replace with a Coleman rather than an Intex? The Coleman power steel frame looks like a good buy at $380 online. The Intex ultra frames are not available at Wal-Mart.com and if I do find them other places they are nearly double the price. Two concerns I have with the Coleman:
1. I read in a review that it is not quite as wide as advertised.
2. Evidently it has two intake hoses rather than one. I didn't know if this would cause problems with my skimmer.

Thanks for any help, before I pull the trigger on this purchase.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm just gonna replace with a metal frame of the same size (18x48). So now the question is:

Do I replace with a Coleman rather than an Intex? The Coleman power steel frame looks like a good buy at $380 online. The Intex ultra frames are not available at Wal-Mart.com and if I do find them other places they are nearly double the price. Two concerns I have with the Coleman:
1. I read in a review that it is not quite as wide as advertised.
2. Evidently it has two intake hoses rather than one. I didn't know if this would cause problems with my skimmer.

Thanks for any help, before I pull the trigger on this purchase.

Academy has them in stock online and in store. I can't speak to the Coleman comparison as I have only owned Intex easy and ultra. Smart call steering clear of the easy set. Inflatable ring is nearly impossible to repair.

Thanks for heads up on Academy. Are you saying it's worth it to buy the Intex over the Coleman? Just curious if anyone know why they discontinued the 18 x 48 Ultra Frame. I don't even see it on the Intex website anymore.

All of them now have the 2 intakes so no one gets trapped in the suction..

The Coleman has a much cheaper pump and filter and they use a thinner steel, how much thinner I am not sure...

I am using my phone so please excuse any spelling errors and short response. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.