SWG pool and composite wood decking?

May 13, 2009
I am brand new..forgive me if I'm in the wrong forum or use the wrong language.

We want to put in a saline pool with composite wood decking. Will these two components work together? I know we'd have to rinse off frequently, but am wondering if the salt would eventually kill the composite.

Thanks,
Michele

I have a saltwater pool and a composite deck, and have had no problems whatsover from the salt. Be aware though that it seems that composites are prone to mold staining. Google "choicedek lawsuit" and I'm sure you'll find several articles to read. Some owners of composite decks sued the manufacturer because their decks became spotted with mold and required frequent cleaning. I'm pretty sure they couldn't get up all of the mold, either. Just FYI.

edit: make sure you use the recommended stainless steel fasteners, too.

Definitely use stainless steel fasteners. They're not cheap, but they stand up to the elements (and the salt) far longer than normal deck screws. My Ipe deck is around 500 square feet and just the screws for it cost $200. :shock: But no other screws will last as long as the decking.

There are many manufacturers of composites, many variations by each manufacturer. Mold is a bigger issue for some than for others. As a professional deck builder, I recommend checking with some of your local deck contractors to see what's available locally and has held up. Stainless steel is fine...just be aware that it is soft, will require pre-drilling in composites and when the screws break off will be a real pain to get out and replace. The pressure treatment in the framing will be more corrosive than the diluted salt water from the pool. There are quality coated "trim head" screws available that will do a fine job without leaving a large mark. Frequently with the trim heads simply tapping the excess from the screw hole with a hammer (NOT pounding it!) will push the composite back over the head and leave a hidden fastener appearance. Ipe is great as well, and is actually cheaper here than most of the quality composites. It also requires pre-drilling unless you use one of the specialty screws designed for hardwoods. As I mentioned in an earlier deck question be sure to follow all permitting requirements. Homeowners' insurers will usually refuse any claim for liabilities that occur on, around, or associated with any construction that does not have a certificate of occupancy. Pools are even worse.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.