Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG pool and composite wood decking?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG pool and composite wood decking?

I am brand new..forgive me if I'm in the wrong forum or use the wrong language.

We want to put in a saline pool with composite wood decking. Will these two components work together? I know we'd have to rinse off frequently, but am wondering if the salt would eventually kill the composite.

Thanks,
    Michele
    Buster Crabbe In ground Pool, 18x36, Vinyl Lined, Deep End w/ Diving Board. 300 lb. Sand Filter / Hayward 1hp Super Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG pool and composite wood decking?

Should be ok!
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you!

Anyone else have an opinion about composite wood and a saline pool being happy together?
    Buster Crabbe In ground Pool, 18x36, Vinyl Lined, Deep End w/ Diving Board. 300 lb. Sand Filter / Hayward 1hp Super Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a saltwater pool and a composite deck, and have had no problems whatsover from the salt. Be aware though that it seems that composites are prone to mold staining. Google "choicedek lawsuit" and I'm sure you'll find several articles to read. Some owners of composite decks sued the manufacturer because their decks became spotted with mold and required frequent cleaning. I'm pretty sure they couldn't get up all of the mold, either. Just FYI.

edit: make sure you use the recommended stainless steel fasteners, too.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

5. Back To Top    #5

Great info! Thanks so much.

6. Back To Top    #6

Definitely use stainless steel fasteners. They're not cheap, but they stand up to the elements (and the salt) far longer than normal deck screws. My Ipe deck is around 500 square feet and just the screws for it cost $200. But no other screws will last as long as the decking.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

7. Back To Top    #7

There are many manufacturers of composites, many variations by each manufacturer. Mold is a bigger issue for some than for others. As a professional deck builder, I recommend checking with some of your local deck contractors to see what's available locally and has held up. Stainless steel is fine...just be aware that it is soft, will require pre-drilling in composites and when the screws break off will be a real pain to get out and replace. The pressure treatment in the framing will be more corrosive than the diluted salt water from the pool. There are quality coated "trim head" screws available that will do a fine job without leaving a large mark. Frequently with the trim heads simply tapping the excess from the screw hole with a hammer (NOT pounding it!) will push the composite back over the head and leave a hidden fastener appearance. Ipe is great as well, and is actually cheaper here than most of the quality composites. It also requires pre-drilling unless you use one of the specialty screws designed for hardwoods. As I mentioned in an earlier deck question be sure to follow all permitting requirements. Homeowners' insurers will usually refuse any claim for liabilities that occur on, around, or associated with any construction that does not have a certificate of occupancy. Pools are even worse.
    16X32 AB, Jacuzzi Laser 190 19" sand filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100