Overshot FC

Thanks Splash. I'm still freaking. Ruined my birthday dinner. Added calculated amount Went from 10 to 21, so hubby added calculated amount to raise it to 28. Checked 3 hrs later and got 35. CYA was 70. Made the mistake of having the SWG on also I guess. BTW you were kind of right, I must not of slammed long enough the last time or I didn't bump up,the SWG enough with all the rain. My husband is ready to fill it in! He thinks all this testing is crazy.
Just don't understand how the readings can all be good and the water crystal clear and it comes back in just a few spots on the edges. Must be dead circulation zones and it collects more evenly on the floor?
Sorry just have to vent and try to not want to go backwash the thing and refill. I would end up in the bottom! Lol.:hammer:

Hi Diane,
Dead spots on the 'edges' can produce algae. Always be sure and take a few minutes and brush pool walls once a week.
If you didn't brush the walls while slamming, then you maybe didn't get it all.

Most people stop the slam too quicly because they basically are tired of doing it and hoping for the best. Stick with it.
WHen you think you're done, then keep slamming for 2 more days just to be sure, is what I tell people.

I have to chime in here with my own experience in case it helps. As others said brush brush brush (something I resisted for far too long). I have had algae come back after a successful slam even when my testing showed higher than minimum CL for my cya and I'm also a SWG user.

I found:

Algae slightly behind my skimmer plates between them and vinyl
Algae behind the framing of the lights between that and vinyl wall
Algae in the cracks where my fiberglass steps met the vinyl wall
Algae on vinyl behind almost every return

I actually purchased a flat handle plastic kitchen brush and had the kids start getting in those cracks when they were in the pool. Places I was not effective with the long pole and brush.

Thanks for the input. I have been brushing once to three times a day. I was sick most of the weekend so hubby had to take over and he brushed. I may have to brave the chlorine and get in there with a small brush like mentioned. You don't actually try to remove covers do you? My roots need lightening anyhow. Can an enclosure feed algae into the pool after a rain? I don't know that I have that just a thought. I would think the FC would kill it off.
Also small bubbles on walls (degassing) good, bad, normal when all this going on?
We've had pools before but never SW and never such a problem. My husband thinks I'm overthinking and over reading all this. A little OCD no doubt!

Texas, do I still aim for the original 28. I didn't retest anything else. The pool water has never been green, but looks crystal today. I will continue for another day at least. I'm afraid I might run out of chemicals though and I'll have to wing it. On order but 27 th earliest delivery. I'll can't do overnight tonight because I'm bringing the FC up right now.
Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Based om yesterday's comment about algae
Yes, slamming again. HD 2.5 inches of rain last Friday and algae started back Saturday
, I would continue to maintain the SLAM until you can do the overnight (OCLT) test. If you're really low on R-0871 drops, you could switch to the 5ml sample option (fill to 5 ml, each drop equals 1 FC). It's not as accurate as the 10 ml, but you will use half the drops until your replacement arrives. That way you can maintain the FC of 28 until you can test/pass the OLCT. If you haven't replaced a lot of water, everything else should still be the same. Your SWG is off correct? Definitely make sure it's off when you do the OCLT. :)

Thanks good idea on the chems. SWG is on super at the moment to bump up the FC. I know it's not as fast as liquid, but since it's oversized it can raise it pretty fast (that's how I overshot originally). I do know to turn it off for the overnight test. I'm plannining on winning this battle this time. Last time I passed the overnight test two nights in a row and obviously still failed.
My neighbor just called me with pool problems. I asked what the chlorine was. Light yellow was the reply. �� They are total newbies.

You should really use liquid during a SLAM. Make sure you're brushing your pool weekly. It is one pool chore that people would rather not do and they don't.

So now it pops up! Sorry. Brushing twice a day minimum. I strangely like to brush the pool. A touch of OCD. I know I should use liquid, but ran out and even though I drove right buy Walmart didn't have the energy to go in after sitting at the doctors for 3 hours. Tomorrow!

DONE! Held 26.5 overnight (not quite 28 level but wasn't going to adjust at 7 pm) 0 CC and I can see the slots in the screw heads in the deep end. Brushed and saw nothing. If that doesn't do it, I give! Of course I bought 4 jugs of pool chlorine yesterday came home and checked the pool. First conserve chem test - 38 freak out again. Redid with full 10 ml and got 31. Ok relax. Also had reordered another super size 081 to get it here before I ran out and paid extra for next day delivery. Now that I'm done slamming all my extra chems will probably arrive today. I guess I can check it to my hearts content now.
Hubby wants to clean salt cell. Directions say ph should be 7.2 - 7.8. Must he wait for an accurate reading when FC is below 10? Thanks for the help and I hope I can enjoy the pool now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.