Cloudy Water

eoakes

May 23, 2016
Lone Oak, TX
Can't get my pool clear! I have shocked and backwashed too many times to count. All of my readings are good. Free Available Chlorine- .75 Alkalinity- 80, Cyanuric Acid- 50, Calcium Hardness -250, and, Total Available Chlorine - 2.5 I have done everything Leslie's has told me to do and I still have a cloudy pool. Please help.

Welcome to TFP! First and foremost, Ignore Leslie's. They have a sales goal to make and all you are to them is a boost in sales! Secondly, invest in a good test kit. I'm not talking about test strips either. Consider the TF100 test kit. It's the one we will recommend to you as it offers accurate testing at an affordable price. Thirdly, please read Pool School. The link is on the upper right hand corner of this site.

Inside, you will find all the information you need to keep your pool sparkly clear. Now I will see that you definitely don't have enough chlorine. Before we get to that, you need to ensure your CYA(stabilizer/conditioner) level is adequate. You should aim for 30-40 on the scale. Seems you have 60 according to Leslie's, but there's no telling how accurate their testing is. Without a proper test kit we are taking a shot in the dark.

Back on topic, ensure your CYA level is adequate. Next, check your PH and alkalinity levels. Alkalinity acts as a buffer. Keeps your PH in check so adjust it first. Always remember that chlorine is a fantastic oxidizer but you have to replenish it. We don't recommend you use "shocking" powders to chlorinate your pool or chlorine tablets. Both add chemicals to your pool that you either don't want too much of, or don't need in general. Household bleach(regular kind not flavored) has the same active ingredient as liquid chlorine that you would find at the pool store.

With that in mind, you can use bleach to chlorinate your pool! That opens this up to what we like to call the "BBB" method of taking care of your pool. There is a lot of information in Pool School, but as a short summary you will be using Bleach, Baking Soda, and Borax in place of expensive pool store versions that are literally the same ingredients as PH up and alkalinity up. Not only will using this method be easier, but a lot cheaper as well.

Using this method, you will use of course Bleach in place of tablets or powders, baking soda in place of alkalinity up, and borax in place of PH up. Like I said, pool school has all the information you will need to make your pool care a lot easier.

Welcome to TFP :)

Blake is new and has you covered.. the pool store is not your friend and will lead you to spend the most money and keep your pool nice and cloudy so you continue to return...

Check out the links in my sig below to help you out, let us know if you have any questions :)

Blake got ya covered pretty well. So glad to have ya come back and help out Blake!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Vera

I have done everything I know to do. All of my readings are good. I have used flock and vacuumed everything to waste. Shocked again and I still have hazy water. HELP! !Mod note: Please keep your posts on this thread.

We would like to help you. We need test results to do so. We can not accept generic forms of test results such as GOOD, HIGH & LOW. When you shocked your pool, did you maintain the high chlorine level or did you just dump something in and let the pool settle for a couple days?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.