Need Help With Specifics for algae bloom upon opening

May 4, 2015
Chardon, ohio
I started doing the trouble free pool method last year and had my best year ever with the pool. This is a great forum. I didn't have to add stabilizer last year because CYA was around 30 all year. Upon opening this year my pool was green. I balanced the water as best I could. Alkalinity is 100 and PH is 7.6 and CYA is 0. Slammed the pool last evening and woke up to blue cloudy water. When I got home from work water still blue and cloudy but free chlorine is 2 and CC is 0. Blushed the pool and am about to re-slam this evening. I know that CYA has to be raised but I've never added Stabilizer before. Is it best to add it now or wait till water is clear? What stabilizer is recommended? Best way to add? Also do I keep slamming until water is clear?

I am also having to clean the cartridge filter every hour and do the constant juggling and soaking of 3 cartridges. Scared to go to work and have the filter totally plug while I'm gone so I run the pump without the filter during the day just to circulate the water until I get home. Should you soak cartridges then soak in Muriatic Acid or just soak overnight in TSP?

Any help would be appreciated. Any additional info please let me know.

Thanks

Hello! Before you go any further, adjust pH to 7.2 (lower is muriatic acid). Before you add stabilizer, please confirm that you can hold FC by adding bleach, raise FC to 10 ppm, and confirm that most of it will still be there in 10 minutes (at least 5 or above). If so, then continue with a SLAM by raising CYA to 30 and increasing FC to 12. If you check the FC in 10 minutes and most of it is gone, let us know.

- - - Updated - - -

As for the filters, they are clogging quickly because of the algae. The C900 is the single cartridge correct? I have the C1200 single. Not much you can do but simply rinse it off as needed. Don't bother with a TSP soak right now, and certainly don't do an acid soak at this point. Once the pressure increases by 25%, just pressure rinse with the garden hose.

- - - Updated - - -

Assuming you pass the 10 min check and can hold FC, then add stabilizer as follows for a target of 30:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

thanks Texas,

It holds the chlorine after 10 minutes. I will keep checking. How much pressure can a system take to where I can cause damage. Filters start out at 12 then quickly raise to 20 or so within 30 minutes. Can I leave a filter in and running during the day unattended with pressure buildup like that or is it best to pull filter out just to keep circulating or just turn pump off until I get home. Thanks so much.

- - - Updated - - -

There is liquid stabilizer that people are using from Natural Chemistry. Is that good or just stick with the granular?

Wow, that is a big increase. I would be worried about leaving it unattended, so if you must ... yes, remove the cartridge during your absence until the SLAM has had a chance to slowly purge the heavy stuff. Eventually that will stabilize. So now you can increase FC to 12 and add the stabilizer for a CYA goal of 30. Make sure to adjust the pH first though since you won't be testing pH during the SLAM. I would recommend reviewing the SLAM page once a day just to stay current. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I would just stick to the granular stabilizer. No sense paying 2 1/2 - 3Xs as much for the liquid.

Did you lower the PH to 7.2 before starting the SLAM as Pat suggested above? If yes, then keep SLAMing and don't test PH until you are finished and FC drops back below 10.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.