2002 Sundance Cameo 850 with no power

May 23, 2016
Kelsey, CA
Good Afternoon,
I have a 2002 Sundance Cameo 850 spa that will no longer power up. I tested the power at the control panel. Each line tests at 120v, however, when I test across them, I don't get any reading. I tested the fuses on the board by taking them out and testing for ohms across the fuse. All the fuses are still good as far as I can tell. We've had the spa for almost 14 years and nothing has changed in the wiring nor has the spa been moved. This is, however, the first time I've powered it up is a few years. The spa was going in to "watch dog mode" and then would give the OH or FLO errors when I would reset the power. I was going to order a new temp sensor and a circulation pump. My question is... if the circ pump is totally dead, would it hose up the entire system? I mean, even the radio doesn't work.
I've tested the power to the board. The power coming out to the heater is dead, but that might because it's hasn't been switched on yet. The power to the main pump is also good. 2 (120) lines with one passing through a 30amp fuse. (tested and good) I disconnected the voltage regulator at the board and plugged it back in. I disconnected everything and still can't even get the radio to work.
What concerns me in the lack of 220 across the 2 poles even though they test good separately. The only thing I can think of that is a change is PG&E swapped out our old meter to a smart digital meter.
any ideas?

50amp 3 wire set up. two 120lines and 1 ground. I did run a neutral but it is not connected. (just in case I needed it later for another project. )

Thanks,
Dave

Welcome to TFP :)

http://www.sundancespas.com/Communications/InstructionManuals/E850EMan.pdf
on page 23 it says once in "watchdog" mode A problem has been detected which could cause damage to the hot tub or its components. Contact your dealer or service organization.

When you bypassed the protection system it probably fried the motherboard or something else... the pump #1 is also probably connected to the circulation system... You system is probably beyond repair but there may be a system tech that could troubleshoot it... I think you already know that will cost an arm and a leg if you can find anyone to look at it..

With that said, if you are handy at plumbing and wiring you could replace the whole system pretty easy :)
Balboa Spa Controls. Balboa Control Systems Packs.

I hope this helps :)

Thanks. Yeah, I kinda figured it was toast. I was hoping someone had the same experience. Yeah, I know enough not to get myself shocked or killed. The pumps still have power to them. I'll start off with the regulator and the temp sensor. The temp sensor is pretty cheap and that was the first error it gave a few years ago. After replacing those items, I guess I'll move on to the board. I found it on line for 450 bucks. The one thing I haven't done is pull the panel out and see if there is any mouse or rat damage on the wiring on the back side. Our spa is outside and we're out on 8 acres near the El Dorado national forest.

sounds like a great plan.. but for 400 you can have a new heater, new controller and connections for lights and pumps, just a thought :)

Okay... So I tested the two lines at circuit breaker and I wasn't getting 220 either. I forgot that I switched out the older 50amp breaker for a double pole slim breaker to make room for a subpanel I was installing. When I swapped the breaker, I put both lines on the same bar. That's why I was getting 110 on each line, but not 220 together.
So... the spa now has power, but it's in watch dog mode. (dashes across the display) The radio works but the main panel is disabled. My best guess since I was getting a FLO and then the OH error.... it's the circulation pump but the temp sensor is pretty cheap so I might as well replace it.

Good catch, the spa brain is seeing something wrong and going into watchdog mode.. maybe it is the temp sensor :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.