Newbie AGP upgrades?

ObWan

May 23, 2016
Minnesota
Hello everyone. I just bought our first pool this week (Intex Ultra Frame 22'x52") and am wondering what the usual upgrades are. The pool is still in the box and came with a 2500 GPH pump and canister filter, but I am planning on swapping this out for the Intex 3000 GPH Pump and Sand Filter. Is this a good setup? I was also thinking about going the saltwater route. Without getting into a Chevy/Ford type discussion, is this the more popular thing these days? Thanks everyone!

Excellent decision on the Intex sand filter. A lot more efficient than the cartridge Intex type and easier to maintain! On the salt water question, on an Intex pool it will do you wonders. Be sure you invest in a good test kit to make your life a whole lot easier. We recommend the TF100. No complaints whatsoever out of it. Also, if you aren't a veteran in pool care, check out pool school on the upper right hand corner of this site.

Great information awaits you! Also, please update your signature when you can to include your pool size, total gallons, and filter system! Will help us help you.

What about a skimmer? Is one necessary? If so, which brands? Hayward I heard makes a nice thru-wall one. Is it a good idea to compromise the integrity of the wall to install one? I worry about the liner tearing where the screws are.

Personally, I would recommend a skimmer. You can get the Intex clip on ones, but I would still recommend a through the wall skimmer. Many of our members have taken the plunge and installed one. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube, and I'm sure many members would be happy to chime in and give you tips on how to do it specifically.

Brand wise, I'm a Hayward guy so I would personally recommend them. The one I purchased has a huge basket inside, which is typical for most haywards. Also about the liner, if you follow the instructions of members or videos you won't have any problems.

The biggest drawback I see to having a through wall skimmer is the amount of water depth you loose. Mine is only a 48" pool which really is only about 42" of water at the highest point, and I do not want to lose another 6". I just use the clip on Intex one.

The biggest drawback I see to having a through wall skimmer is the amount of water depth you loose. Mine is only a 48" pool which really is only about 42" of water at the highest point, and I do not want to lose another 6". I just use the clip on Intex one.
I feel the same way. Until I have to get all the fluffies and bugs out of the pool. I'm still on the fence.

If you get the bigger filter, a vac is a good investment. I just use the manual type. Works great.

A decent ladder can be a good upgrade also, especially if adults will be using the pool. We built a small deck and got steps. But in the interim, we borrowed a Confer ladder and it was sturdier than the wobbly ladder they come with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sand filter upgrade is a must, we did that after one season with the crappy cartridge. I'd go for the bigger one if it's only 50$ more!

The thing about putting a wall skimmer on an intex is that cutting the liner worried me, so we never did it. We did ok with the over the wall one and skimming manually every day.

In this order:

1) a good test kit
2) the biggest pump and sand filter you can find
3) a through the wall skimmer
4) a saltwater generator
5) the Intex pool robot
6) plastic margarita glasses

In this order:

1) a good test kit
2) the biggest pump and sand filter you can find
3) a through the wall skimmer
4) a saltwater generator
5) the Intex pool robot
6) plastic margarita glasses
7) hard plumbed using 1.5" PVC

Starting day 5/25/2015 INTEX AGP 24'x12'x54" 8400 gal, with salt and borax, INTEX 16"sand filter, WM Hayward Skimmer, Intex SWG CG-28669, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test

7) hard plumbed using 1.5" PVC

Starting day 5/25/2015 INTEX AGP 24'x12'x54" 8400 gal, with salt and borax, INTEX 16"sand filter, WM Hayward Skimmer, Intex SWG CG-28669, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test

8) Intex floating lounge chairs
9) Intex floating beer cooler
10) floating wireless pool speakers

I'm starting to second guess the saltwater decision. It seems like a lot of above ground pools are deteriorating prematurely. Opinions?
Seriously I don't think this is the case of a well balanced pool like the one you will find here, take in account that Intex pool are to be last only 3 or 4 years most times... Maybe more in some places...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.