Anybody not bother with a solar blanket?

haybird

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
Ontario
I have been keeping an eye on my pool temps, our first year with pool.
Even when the air temperature dropped to 41*F last night the pool only dropped 4*F
From 78 to 74. I don't have a lot of room for a roller, so the assembly I was pricing with casters
is$800.00 with the blanket. It seems like a lot of money and even more hassel, for 4*f
that I will gain back by noon. I have read all the threads on covers and their advantages.
Just wonder if anybody just goes without? Thanks

My first year with a pool too. House came with an old solar blanket that is in bad shape and no reel; so for now I am going without. My initial reaction is that I wish I had a cover, but more because of the water evaporation and chlorine that is disappearing - than the heat. Although I'm back down to 72 degrees today after a chilly night. :?

haybird said:
I have been keeping an eye on my pool temps, our first year with pool.
Even when the air temperature dropped to 41*F last night the pool only dropped 4*F
From 78 to 74. I don't have a lot of room for a roller, so the assembly I was pricing with casters
is$800.00 with the blanket. It seems like a lot of money and even more hassel, for 4*f
that I will gain back by noon. I have read all the threads on covers and their advantages.
Just wonder if anybody just goes without? Thanks

hey, hay:) i'm in alberta and i paid about 300 for my cover, reel and shipping from intheswim.com in the us including casters and duties (they ship fedex). otherwise, i would have ended up paying about 800 locally as well. why i use a cover:

-slow down water evaporation, help maintain chlorine.
-help keep out some of the Crud falling into the pool
-78 is too cold for my wife. she wants minimum 83. only on the hottest days of 25+ C will my pool get to that by itself without running the heater.
-run my heater as little as possible. 1 degree with my heater size takes about 1 hour of running to heat the pool. it ain't cheap running a ngas heater 4 hours to get the pool up 4 degrees a number of days per year compared to all the benefits and 300 bucks to have a reel and cover.
-takes me 3 minutes per operation of "put on", "take off" the cover. no biggie:)

I ordered one... sent wrong size or something because it's about 1'' or more to small all the way around the pool.

Mines an Intex frameset 15' and i ordered one for a 15' pool but wasnt intex brand and it didnt fit for Crud. ... I used it yesterday, hoping it help a bit even tho it doesnt cover the hole pool... did NO difference... My water has stayed 80 degrees for 2 weeks and was 80 this morning

It may work better if ti actually fit but no good so far

I don't use a solar cover at the moment. Not because I disagree with Tenax, but because the solar wheel I have is a pain in the butt. Although it has found a new life for itself as a way for me to take off the safety cover by myself. :) I took the pipe part off of it and simply rolled the safety cover over it.

That's for the replies.
Tenax: is your wife able to remove and put on the cover herself?
I have a oval pool ,so with a good reel system I am thinking it should
work easily. My biggest worry is getting a reel system and fighting it
first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I could live with a 5min.
install or removel.

heck, my little 10 year old son , all 4.5 ft and change of him and about 80 lb loves to pull it on himself. easy as pie to be honest:) it rolls very easy and smoothly off the reel. i just had to teach him how to pull both ropes taut together so it comes off even..i actually could have knotted the 2 ropes together at a point by the end so it simply does it, but i thought they might get snarled up if i did so..no biggie either way.

I guess I should clarify. The reel was great for taking the solar cover off the pool or putting it back on the pool. Anyone could do it. The problem I had was getting the reel out of the way when I wanted to swim. The wheels that folded under would come off and the reel was too high to slide it under the diving board and too low to slide it over. So I had to lift it over. Ultimately I just got tired of it. So the problem was really the wrong solar cover reel for my pool. I think a low profile one would work great in my case.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice website Tenax! I was looking at the Rocky roller with cover,
so I could roll it too the side. Pool store price here $599reel + $124cover+GST&PST.
Website Reel $419 +$ 89cover - $20.00 dicount. I am pretty sure shipping
and duties won't be $300

yep, you're right on that. i have in my records this from one of the their customer service reps:

Thank you for your inquiry. In The Swim does not charge any additional fees for orders shipped to Canada, except for shipments sent by truck (slides, heaters, etc). In the case of a truck shipment we would need to charge additional fees, as well as require that you arrange a broker before the order is placed. For orders shipped by FedEx, you would simply pay a handling fee of $6.99 – $8.99 just as our American customers do. I have provided a detailed break down of our handling fees below:

i.e. they charge 8.99 handling fee for orders over 100 u.s., but don't charge any shipping fee. i believe it cost me for shipping and duties via fedex about 68 bucks last year..i thought that was quite reasonable for a courier service to pay about 80 bucks canuck for shipping and handling and the dollar of course is at a much better exchange right now then it was back then.. i've bought a midline solar reel and cover off them on my first order and was so happy with how things went and the money i saved that i bought in 2 separate orders, zeobrite, for my sand filter, and a hood adaptor/vent kit that i needed for my jandy pool heater. i suggest you setup an account with them online, but place your order by phone if you want to doublecheck any handling fees. their csr's are absolutely great. the first time i ordered with them for the reel and cover, the csr spent about 15 minutes on the phone with me. very patient, she setup my account on the phone but then recommended i go on the site to doublecheck it..spectacular place to shop in my opinion for many reasons and they have pretty much everything. they will also mail you catalogues at times with their seasonal specials, a code on the catalogue that you can input to save like 10, 20 or 50 bucks depending on what they offering. just ask them to put you on their catalogue mailing list if you want it. of course, you'll get email offers on their specials as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.