Have Contract Just need to Sign - Pool Build - Pearland Texas

Garttx

Silver Supporter
Mar 25, 2016
Pearland
Hello All,

My wife and I are getting the "nerve to sign" the contract with the PB. It is a huge outlay of money but I believe that we have finalized the design however any input would be greatly appreciated. I have attached the "final" design by the PB. I added thanks to Kim the bench under the rock water feature. PB said that we can hold off on the chiller for right now to see if I really need it. He will pour the slab for the unit and if I want to put it in later we can do so with minimal fuss. We have three kids 11, 9 and 6. We are excited but want to make sure we are trying to do everything we can to not have any issues with the main design. Thanks to everyone for your input/recommendations. I will post picture of yard and existing back porch tonight.

- 40'-0" x 24'-0"
- 714 sf / 109 lf
- 3'-6" to 8'-0" depth profile
- 9'-6" x 7'-0" Freeform spa
- 30,273 gallons estimate including spa

Equipment
- Jandy Stealth 2 hp circulation pump
- Jandy Flo Pro 2.5 hp water feature pump
- Jandy Flo Pro 2 hp spa booster pump
- Jandy 580 sf Micro Media filter
- Jandy JXi 400,000 btu natural gas heater
- Polaris 2 hp air blower
- CMP In-line chlorinator
- (4) Jandy Nicheless 30W LED pool lights
- (1) Jandy Nicheless 20W LED spa light
- Polaris 3900 Sport automatic pool cleaner with booster pump (Could use robot for same price)
- Jandy Aqualink computerized controls with PS8 remote

Features
- 12" Raised spa with flagstone cap and surround
- Stacked stone spa spillway
- Five ton moss rock waterfall on notched pool beam
- 6" Raised pool beam with flagstone cap and tile facing (31')
- Flagstone pool coping (Travertine is 1,600 upgrade)
- Standard waterline tile (6" band)
- Tile trim all steps and benches
- (2) Brass skimmer covers
- Tanning ledge @ 6" depth
- (1) Brass, air infused, flush mounted bubbler fountain
- Sunstone upgrade interior pool finish

Additional Features
- New Multicoat decks (655 sf per plan)
- Top existing patio with Multicoat (720 sf sf)
- Area drain system for decks
- Stub out water line for future slide attached to feature pump

Also Included
- City Permits
- HOA
- All de-watering and cave in costs
- Complete electrical
- Gas line run from meter to heater location
- Standard maintenance tools and test kit
View attachment 52316.pdf

Thats a nice size pool :)

the only thing I see is the pumps, I would get at least 2 speed pumps and look at VS pumps as they will save massive amounts of money from those 3 2hp pumps.. a 3hp VS pump could run the pool circulation along with the spa and if the correct valve's were installed a VS 3hp pump could replace all 3 pumps (as long as everything isn't used at once)..

The inline chlorinator is great for vacation but it will get you into trouble with CYA within 3 months if used daily.. A SWG or Stenner install will work better or liquid chlorine for dailly chlorine addition.

I hope this helps :)

Try to hardwire the AQUALINK to your router so you don't have to rely on the WIFI connection. And make sure you can use your phone to control the AQUALINK.

Great idea! CAT6 cable is cheap I will see about running a drop to my pool equipment to my network hub!

Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

I have some pictures of the proposed area. I am working on doing better with the pictures sorry about the sideways one! We just completed the outdoor kitchen and fireplace under existing patio. Thanks again!

yard 1.jpgyard 2.jpgyard 3.jpg

Hi Everyone,

We are getting close to the dig of the pool. The city has approved the plans. If the weather permits we should have gas line moved and the pool ready to be dug next week. We are finalizing some items and have a couple of questions and statements:

1) Pool Decking - We are budgeted for Kool Deck. Anyone have this? I have seen it and it looks like it can get dirty pretty quickly but looks like a great option.
2) Flagstone Coping - We are going to upgrade this to Travertine. We believe it will be cooler during the Texas summers than flagstone would be. Will it look ok with the kool deck?
3) We have 5 lights in the pool. 4 for the pool (30 watt niche less) and 1 (9 watt for the sun shelf) and 1 (20 watt) for the spa.
4) We are looking at Travertine upgrade for deck. It is 809sf Would you use thin over concrete or as pavers? If our cool deck is $9-10 a square foot any idea on estimate for upgrade?

Thanks again I will post pictures as soon as the layout is done!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Everyone,

We are getting close to the dig of the pool. The city has approved the plans. If the weather permits we should have gas line moved and the pool ready to be dug next week. We are finalizing some items and have a couple of questions and statements:

1) Pool Decking - We are budgeted for Kool Deck. Anyone have this? I have seen it and it looks like it can get dirty pretty quickly but looks like a great option.
2) Flagstone Coping - We are going to upgrade this to Travertine. We believe it will be cooler during the Texas summers than flagstone would be. Will it look ok with the kool deck?

4) We are looking at Travertine upgrade for deck. It is 809sf Would you use thin over concrete or as pavers? If our cool deck is $9-10 a square foot any idea on estimate for upgrade?

Thanks again I will post pictures as soon as the layout is done!

Take a look at this product for your coping and deck. It's what I just ordered for my pool. And ultimately, it will be less or right around what you are paying for the kool decking. This does not get hot at all. I have tested it in Vegas and it stays cool... not just cooler than another product. I am paying just less than $8 a square foot including the shipping to Vegas... your shipping would be cheaper. Install is the same as any other paver. Coquina Stone PTrading

You might be able to get it where you are too. They have it here for $6.80 a sq foot, BUT the only have one color and type and no tiles. So it was worth a bit more to have it shipped IMO.

As to your "Tanning Ledge" be sure it is big enough for the chairs you want. Some chairs require a minimum length... and have a maximum depth

Thanks again for the replies and help. We have gotten budget numbers back for the 1600sf of deck and porch. We are going to stick with the Kool deck and upgrade the travertine coping for the pool. Raining again today so we will see when they can start the dig!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well they came today and staked out the pool. I will try to get a picture from above to give better perspective. Of course like a lot of people at this stage it seems small when it is staked and not dug out. However I believe we will be happy with it. We are going to adjust the north side about 2 feet to adjust closer to the easement without encroaching of course.

Hopefully dig next week

!
183134600a96b63251ac86c00a8f6cb5.jpg

7390668af1126d125fb63940e444dbc4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try to be home as much as is possible during all phases but especially dig, gunite, and plaster. Gunite is probably the most important to be home for, there have been many threads where tanning ledges or steps did not get formed to the shape or depth that the owner envisioned and for the most part there is no going back and "fixing it". When we built ours I was home and was able to move steps and guide the shape of the shelf in real time. For the most part the shape and location of those items is not dictated by the rebar shell so you have some flexibility.

Try to be home as much as is possible during all phases but especially dig, gunite, and plaster. Gunite is probably the most important to be home for, there have been many threads where tanning ledges or steps did not get formed to the shape or depth that the owner envisioned and for the most part there is no going back and "fixing it". When we built ours I was home and was able to move steps and guide the shape of the shelf in real time. For the most part the shape and location of those items is not dictated by the rebar shell so you have some flexibility.

Thank you so much for the information! Looks like I'll have time to get a camera and be there! For the past two days the scheduler said the Crews were going to be starting the dig.

However it is been canceled both times. Here's to trying again tomorrow!

I expected this to be a long drawn out process so we're not too disappointed.

I expected this to be a long drawn out process so we're not too disappointed.

Good idea, timing is the one area I highly recommend lowering your expectations. Doubling the time they say it will take will almost always leave you finishing "on time".

Good idea, timing is the one area I highly recommend lowering your expectations. Doubling the time they say it will take will almost always leave you finishing "on time".

Im in construction myself. The only thing that is frustrating is I know you can't control weather, subs etc but I always believe that you can control communication!

Also it may be a blessing in disguise. The layout is off about two feet when I was double checking it this morning. They said they will adjust and fix.

One more thing I got the upgrade for the JANDY VS JEP 2.0 with paramount self regulating pool return fittings for 850.00 anyone heard of those?

Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.