Expansion fittings for frost heaving between pump pad and ground and vibration red.

May 23, 2016
Shelburn, IN
Last year we purchased a new home that included a in-ground pool. The pool was put in 20 years ago and I assume that the pump, filter and heater are all from the same era also. We ran the pool last year and everything worked OK until right at the end of the year the pump started getting really noisy and hot. So this winter I did some research and purchased an Ecopump and some parts to repair the existing filter as the base was broken because the equipment had just been sitting on boards which had moved over time cracking the sand filters base.

Fast forward to now I have a concrete pad done and just about everything complete except for the plumbing and the gas line to the heater. I am up sizing all of the plumbing that I can to 2". When I removed the old plumbing there was a short flexible piece of plumbing between 2 fittings that was between the pump and the filter. I assume this was for vibration reduction at the filter. I think this may have been a homemade piece by the original installers because I have yet to find a glue together flexible fitting other than the expansion pieces that are used primarily for repairs and only give you an extension motion for movement. It looks like a piece of flexible piping (similar to a pool vacuum hose) glued to 2 slip couplings.

Now for my question. Is frost heaving not an issue between the pump pad and the lines that run down underground to the pool? I know in the electrical world anytime you transfer above or below the frost line you need to put an expansion coupling in. Why is this not the same for pool plumbing? I originally wanted to use the same flexible type fitting that was on my system for all lines that went from the pad underground and also between the pump and the filter for vibration reduction. However I have not been able to locate anything similar which makes me think this is rather uncommon in the pool industry. The only thing that I have found that is even remotely similar or makes mention to my concern is the website below.

http://www.swimmingpoolsteve.com/pages/common-fittings.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...as2&tag=artificica-20&linkId=NUFVARPHZJA3Y47B

Here he mentions using the above flexible coupling as an option for vibration reduction. I purchased some of these couplings from lowes and was going to use them but they say they are not rated for pressure. I think the outcome would still be the same but I guess curiosity has gotten the best of me and now I just want to know why or how this is not an issue for pool plumbing. Frost is going to lift your pump pads and stress the pipes. Does the sand bed that they are layed in move enough to not crack the pipes? What happens if that freezes around the pipes?

Should I use the flexible rubber couplings linked above or am I asking for trouble? FYI Everything we are doing to this house is for the long term and to be as maintenance free as possible in the future.

Thanks for reading

Welcome to TFP :)

Great questions, Most winterize for winter and don't really worry about it, if the 2 inch pipe were to move and crack 10 years from now it is relatively easy to replace in about 2 hours :)

Most pool companies use the flex pipe between the filter and pump to make their job easy and fast, not the best way.. I used hard pipe between the pump and filter and my pump is not even bolted down nor is the filter :)

D9X6h2Eh.jpg

73upvXjh.jpg

A lot of this depends where you are and what the winters are like.

Many folks with serious winters have the pipes emerge from the ground in gravel or something similar and remove the pump and filter during the winter so if anything does heave it just moves and you adjust next season. Their pump filter whatever are connected with couplings.

Thanks for the feedback. We live in South Central Indiana but I grew up in Upstate NY and I guess I still tend to build things based on that area even thought it may be overkill for where we currently live.

I like the idea of removing the pump for winter and can easily do that where I already had planned to put unions. So if I put one more union in where my lines return to the pool then everything can be disconnected and the pad can move as it wants and not stress any connections.

Sounds like a plan that I feel much more comfortable with vs trying to make an expansion piece(s)

Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.