New Home - New Pool

Corrik

May 23, 2016
Pittsburgh/PA
Hello, I am totally new to owning a pool. I already see I erred on buying chemicals from a pool store, but I figured you guys can at least give me tips on how to get my pool into ready shape.

Above ground Vinyl Liner 27' approx 17200 gallons.

Opened pool. Finally figured out how to connect the pump and filter. He has two return lines. Not sure why. I am currently using one on the bottom of the pool because the top one alone caused too much pressure and the gasket on the filter pod to blow out.

The pool is a greenish hue but clear when taken in a tube.

PH was 8.4
Alkalinity was 80.
Hardness was 30.
CYA was 0.
FC was 0.

I have stabilizer. PH Minus. Hardness adder. TA Plus. Chlorine Tablets.

Added 15 lbs TA. An hour later I added 4lbs PH Minus. Added Hardness Plus 10lbs. Added Stabilizer an hour later.

Going to shock the pool tonight with 1.4lbs tko. Then add chlorine tablets to the floater.

Is this the correct order? I assume then tomorrow I will do new tests and continue adjusting from then to get...

7.4 PH
140 TA
160 CH
60 CYA

Feel free to tell me what I did wrong or how to do it better. Completely new to this.

First we need to say "Welcome to TFP". :wave: Next .... don't add anything else at the moment. The pool store sold you products, some you don't need, and you shouldn't feel obligated to use them just yet. Let's start with the basics ..... how are you testing the water? Next, is the water still green, cloudy? Those will determine what to do next.

Welcome to the forum. Make sure you update your signature with the information in the sticky at the top of the forum. Are you testing yourself or are these pool store numbers? If yourself, what kind of test are you using?

You need to definitely read pool school before you start the process. For starters it looks like they already over shot you on cyanuric acid if you are predicting a CYA of 60... not bad, but using tabs and power shock can increase that level beyond where you want to be.

Before dumping all that stuff in your pool, get a good test kit and familiarize yourself with pool school if you plan on following TFP method. If you continue to use pool store readings and recommendations, there isn't really much the folks can do here to help you.

Well, I haven't checked anything since initial chemicals used. I had to go into work. I have a test kit I bought off Amazon but I also had the pool store test it. Our results were pretty similar. Water is greenish. Wheb I pull a tube it looks clear and slightly cloudy.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay I will add that.

I didn't know anything about the BBB method until I had already bought the chemicals and saw this pop up on google.

They are already on my bad side for selling me PH Plus when I needed minus and Chlorine tablets and shock but no stabilizer. = /

- - - Updated - - -

I have this test kit.

Amazon.com : TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC K-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

K-2006

Okay, well, here's where you're at then ... you have algae. We know that. So you need to do a TFP "SLAM" (link below). Chemical things to know about the SLAM:
- You wanted CYA at about 30 :( Now that you've raised it, you will need more bleach. So no more stabilizer; remove any tablets/pucks; no bags of shock!
- pH needs to be at about 7.2; use muriatic acid to lower it (pump running)
- Based on your CYA of 60, your SLAM FC level is 24. Use regular liquid bleach to maintain an FC of 24 day & night until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria.

Now if the test kit you ordered does NOT have the FAS-DPD (powder & drops) to test FC at such high levels, you need to order it ASAP. You can order it HERE.

It's important at this point to cut the cord with the pool store and their advice/products. They sold you over-priced items you don't need and will be happy when you return. Don't do it! YOU can take care of the pool and the testing. See those links in my sig below? Take advantage of them. Print them, save them to your desktop. You will use them. For now, your pool's best friend is regular liquid bleach, but you must know how to test it with that FAS-DPD test kit. Read the SLAM page carefully and don't leave anything out. It works!

- - - Updated - - -

If you find the FAS-DPD (R-0870 powder and R-0871 drops) let me know. I'll make sure you know how to use them and test the FC.

I did it with a 25 ml sample. It was 2 scoops of a powder. Then a certain number of drops. If I remember correctly. It then said to do more steps but my sample never turned a color from the initial drops and it said it would turn if FC was present. So I assumed that meant no present.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The test kit you have is the same as mine. It will get you through a SLAM with all the necessary regents and tests. However, you will be out of CYA test and FC test when you are done, so proactively order refills for those. Other than that, listen to Tex, he knows what he's doing :cool:

Alright! That's the one. Good. From now on though, use a 10ML sample. Add one heaping scoop of power, swirl and count drops. Whatever number you get, cut in half and that's your FC. Example: 16 drops to go from pink to clear = FC of 8.

Now since it's not changing color, you have NO chlorine in the water. That's about to change. Let's go back to post #5 and do the following:
- Add no more stabilizer; remove any tablets/pucks; no bags of shock!
- pH needs to be at about 7.2; use muriatic acid to lower it (pump running)
- Based on your CYA of 60, your SLAM FC level is 24. Use regular liquid bleach to maintain an FC of 24 day & night until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria.

To raise FC, use just regular liquid bleach. No scented or splashless stuff. Bleach is it! The key is to "Maintain" that FC of 24 as much as possible each & every day. That's what will kill the algae.

- - - Updated - - -

Corrik, I need you to do one more thing for us ..... add all of your pool equipment and info (Above ground Vinyl Liner 27' approx 17200 gallons) into your signature. You can add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Once you adjust pH to 7.2 (orange) you will not test it again until AFTER you complete the SLAM. No need to test anything else either other than just FC, CC, and maybe once in a while CYA. We'll come back to CYA later. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Work? What is work? We only TFP here. There is no work. Bwwwaaahaaaa! Okay, you'll just have to do the best you can. SLAM lengths vary based on degree of algae and consistency in maintaining the SLAM. If you have no one else to assist you, then you'll just have to do the best you can. A SLAM can go as quick as 3-4 days, or could take a really bad pool 2 or more weeks. I don't think yours is that bad, but a SLAM cannot be rushed, so do your best.

- - - Updated - - -

The amount of bleach varies. To give you an idea of where to start .... using the Poolmath calculator (link below), your size pool requires about 5 gallons of 8.25% bleach to get to an FC of 24. That's to start. The algae will lower that quickly at first, so the more you maintain it the better. Then you test every 2-4 hours or whenever seems right to make sure it's still around 24 and just go from there. You also have to do all the tasks on the SLAM page each day.

You are heading in the right direction! Pat has you well covered. ONLY do what he says. Do not skip steps and do not add anything unless he has told you to.

Don't forget to check your PH before you add the FC. Get it to 7.2 THEN start adding the bleach.

Is there anyone that could dump in some FC once or twice a day/night when you are at work? We will work on your schedule soon.

Kim:cat:

Ok.

Last night my girl raked the bottom.of the pool for an hour and apparently shocked the pool while I was at work.

= /

However. Here is today readings.

PH 7.3
TA 70.
CYA <30
FC 2ppm

Pool is no longer green. It is a cloudy blue.

- - - Updated - - -

I assume now it is time for bleach bleach bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.