Loud Hayward Super II Pump

My first post...my apologies if I leave out necessary details, overlooked post requirements or posted in the wrong forum. ;)

I have a 1HP Hayward Super II Pump that is going on 8 yrs old this fall. It has been working well without any major issues, however every year it seems to get louder and louder. It is not a high pitch squeal, rattle or a hum, rather (for lack of a better way to explain) it makes a rhythmic 'wuhh, wuhh, wuhh, wuhh...'. The pool equipment is on the same side of the house as our master bedroom on the 2nd floor, and it's getting loud enough that it can keep you awake at night. We do not have a timer on the pump, and used to have a UV sanitation system which required the pump to operate 24/7. We have since switched to a salt chlorinator so I suppose I could run the pump only during the day, but without a timer I would not really enjoy turning it on and off manually every day.

One 'off the cuff' opinion I received was to replace the bearings, but after doing my own research it seems like this wouldn't help.

Any one have any thoughts on what could be causing it to run so loudly?

Cheers!

Greg

Yes, that is the pump. A rebuild, huh? Is that typically less expensive than replacing a pump like this? Any idea how many more years I could expect to get out of it after it's been rebuilt?

Thanks for the reply!

Greg

- - - Updated - - -

8yrs is a long time? I would have expected they would last much longer than that. Just goes to show what I know. ;) Now to figure out whether to rebuild or replace, and if I replace it, do I buy the same thing?

Thanks for the reply!

Greg, If you really want to run it 24/7 I would go with a 2 speed pump replacement..

yes, it is much cheaper to rebuild.. The next price would be to replace the motor and then the most expensive to replace the whole pump...

The wet side is pretty bullet proof. Its the dry side (motor), that will go. Specifically the bearings. Usually due to a leaking shaft seal. You can pick up bearings inexpensively, and shaft seal and do the job yourself. Less than $20 and an hour of time. Or you can get a rebuilt motor and new shaft seal. Then next expensive is a new motor, then whole pump. Increasing in cost. If changing out the bearings every 3 years for $25 or $30 or a rebuilt motor for $200 every 5-8 years or new motor $300 every 5-8 years. The choice is yours.

Thank you all for the info and recommendations! I may see what I can do myself, or get a local repair shop to rebuild the pump for me. I'd rather get as many years as possible out of this pump before replacing it, but when the time comes I will look into a 2 speed pump. Again, thank you all! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.